New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

11 Pages«<891011>
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 26 February 2016 10:27:37 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Iggyrulz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: roy1954 Go to Quoted Post
looks like 9ct rose goldnice find

I was secretly hoping someone might say 'rose gold'. I did have a google prior to posting and the colour did match pretty well to the pics. However quite suprised how quickly it is starting to tarnish ( ie overnight) maybe due to being at the bottom of the lake for who knows how long. Unsure if rose gold would do that so quickly though.
Cheers Iggy

Might be 9ct plated Iggy. Lots of copper in 9ct I think.

MK

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 2 April 2016 7:02:41 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Welcome, time for a wee update from the last few hunts. Disclaimer - If Au and Ag is your thing best to look away now.
First adventure took place at a little picnic spot followed off by a wander up and down the beach.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

No shortage of lead, an old pocket watch and a few misc items

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Off to to a new location for the next mission
UserPostedImage

It was a stunning Saturday evening and dispite the absence of true treasure was a great time out and about. A holiday makers cat was showing way too much interest in the holes I was digging....bit or a rare sight to have cat running round on the beach trying hard to be a dog.
UserPostedImage

And the results.... One lonely little silver, lipstick case, scrap copper etc.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next wee look around was a complete shambles
I didn't take any pics..... Reason being its a bit hard to photograph nothing.
The hunt consisted of some darkness and a light that hadn't been recharged....... Sigh! say no more.

Finally another pleasant evening hunt last night resulted in a few nothing particularly special finds
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Happy treasure hunting all Iggy

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 11:23:34 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

A little road trip last Sunday arvo to a semi popular coastal spot......
I had reasonably high hopes for this destination and managed to time the tides just right.

UserPostedImage

Mmmmmm looks like I may get wet......but no managed to stay dry. Spent about an hour sniffing around the various small beaches and rock pools, with nothing at all except one bottle top which suprised me somewhat.

UserPostedImage
After getting a bit sick of the radio silence I decided to search the bush lined creek area. As I approached the 'new grounds' I just had to check out the 'cut', but once again nothing.

UserPostedImage
The photo dosnt really show the extent of the cut but either a lot of sand had been removed or a lot deposited. I may have been rushing things a bit by now .........man where is all the good stuff, this is a popular holiday spot......

Anyway back to the creek.
UserPostedImage

It didn't take long and a dig worthy tone rang through the headphones......and then another, ahh that's better.
Just a few .22 shells 1 & 2 cents etc but enough to keep my interest.
Half an hour or so and out pops this sweet tap.
UserPostedImage
A much needed boost and in suprisingly good condition. Rounded off the day with an undateable UK Penny, 45 NZ Penny and a few misc items.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

A nice day out and about
HH every one Iggy

Edited by user Saturday, 9 April 2016 11:30:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

roy1954  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 11:45:17 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
thats a great tap is it my eyes or is that threaded end tapered if so it must be for a barrel that is cool.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 1:04:17 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

thats a great tap is it my eyes or is that threaded end tapered if so it must be for a barrel that is cool.

Yes its tapered, the treads don't appear to spiral though, I'm guessing just there for the wood fibres to grab onto but maybe wrong.
Cheers Roy
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 9:18:45 AM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Mudwiggle must have tapped into this post, got all interested in taps, and went out and found one himself. Alas, he has yet to find the handle.
What is it about this tap fetish, is it turning Detectorists on. My occasional girlfriend, read this post. Went in the spare room, came out and put my Minelab Batteries on the charger. I was kinda scratching my head a bit at this strange behavior. And then bugga me days. She says,I want you to go out detecting and find a barrel tap, and when you do, come straight home. I don't know, I am a bit lukewarm on the whole idea. Its getting a tad cold at nites these days. But oh heck, maybe I will just go with the flow.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
number8wire  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 9:59:35 AM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Awesome barrel tap mate...and yes, that is what it is alright. You can tell by the angled piece above the spout. This is the solid piece of brass that a mallet or hammer would have struck, to push the tap through the wood and onto the barrel.
Definitely an item on my bucket list....well done mate.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 10:35:34 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
Mudwiggle must have tapped into this post, got all interested in taps, and went out and found one himself. Alas, he has yet to find the handle.
What is it about this tap fetish, is it turning Detectorists on. My occasional girlfriend, read this post. Went in the spare room, came out and put my Minelab Batteries on the charger. I was kinda scratching my head a bit at this strange behavior. And then bugga me days. She says,I want you to go out detecting and find a barrel tap, and when you do, come straight home. I don't know, I am a bit lukewarm on the whole idea. Its getting a tad cold at nites these days. But oh heck, maybe I will just go with the flow.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"

Lol.... "occasional girlfriend " what an outstanding title. Actually it was Mudwiggles tap that reminded me to go clean mine up and post some pics of it. I have had it soaking in crc for the week but can't get it to turn and don't want to stuff it so think I will leave it be.

Good luck finding yours.
HH Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 10:14:36 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
That is some nice lead, copper, and brass cogs?
I believe the mystery item is a tiny cast iron frying pan.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 11:58:50 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Thanks GP yeh I wondered about the frypan theory myself, possibly old play set. The cogs I thought looked like they came from a push back self propelled toy......mmmm the patina indicates a metal of higher quality than would be found in a cheap toy, so maybe not. Timekeeping might be more likely

HH Iggy
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 April 2016 11:17:20 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

An update of last two outings....
Last Sunday late afternoon I climbed into the wet suit and went in search of some fresh water to explore. I've been here before and as with previous visits had to abort quite a few targets. The water here is quite corrosive, the bottom right of third picture shows a tungsten scraper blade which has had a hard time.

UserPostedImage

I did manage to find a nice NZ railways button, a very sad little medallion (approx 5 cent peice in size only wording I could make out was. US followed by a star. This was at the bottom and slightly off centre possibly JESUS but unsure if a star would follow.
It travelled home with me as a small encrusted blob, so it was a surprise to see it emerge .......shame it's so ;)):./;(' though. The Queen Vic penny is undateable.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

NEXT HUNT

UserPostedImage

Managed a wee hunt on my way home from up country today. Very low water levels, only there for a hour and a quarter. Lots of targets and only one bottle top and one pull tab.
UserPostedImage

It was a shame to see that somebody had recently been there, leaving unfilled holes everywhere!
Definately not a good look, based on the number of holes still with targets in them or 2-4 inches off to one side, I'm guessing they were noobs without a pointer.

UserPostedImage

The finds were nothing special but broke up the trip home nicely :)
HH Iggy

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 April 2016 11:20:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

roy1954  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 April 2016 11:45:09 PM(UTC)
roy1954

the penny is a widow head 1899 to 1901 around there,looks like theres a few trout in there.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 14 April 2016 7:14:43 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
The rusty mystery object is possibly a cover plate off an old chip heater, and I think I can see vertical and diagonal lines (mast and rigging?) on the silver medallion.

Some nice stuff coming up there.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 7 May 2016 10:11:13 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Welcome all, I've been a bit slack on the detecting lately but have managed three hunts over the last few weeks.
First hunt saw me take the Excal on a bush walk (F4 is still on loan .......mmmmm I must get that back) I've been to this spot before, I was quite happy to score the 1800's Penny lurking under a very large slab of rock which I have been over probably six or seven times before.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I did stumble apon what I believe was an irrigation system for illegal activities. It was by this time starting to get dark so time to call it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next wee look around was a night land based search which resulted in not a lot of interest.
I did discover that my Lesche is on its way out though :(
The blade has developed a nasty crack and the handle is bending. Obvoiusly I have been misstreating it somewhat.

UserPostedImage

Finally back for an evening/night search at the salt water to a spot I've been to before

UserPostedImage

I'm positive there is a gold ring hidding somewhere in amongst the rocks, but do you think I could find it.
Lots of signals, lots of hot rocks and lots of radio silence due to hunting in discrim mode (I must go back again one day and dig everything and see what surfaces).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The in built battery died on the pointer ggrrr carried on for a bit..... Oohh is that the time.

Man time flies when your having fun dosnt it.
Until next time Iggy
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2016 7:44:27 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Super soggy ground conditions equals greater depth!
It's been raining cats and dogs down here for days...... Cabin fever was starting to hurt, still bucketing down and dark when I anounced that it was necessary to take the Minelab on a mission. My wife and kids all looked at me as if I was insane.......well anyone who knows me would agree that I have more than one screw that needs tightened.

I started out in the open but it didn't take long before I was starting to get a little damp so ventured towards a little cover. The hunt came to an abrupt end as the last pic will show!

UserPostedImage
This is a little location that I have taken the F4 to on numerous outings and thought that we had covered the area pretty well, but it was the first time the Excal had worked the area.
The lead bull was a nice surface find which helped to lift the moral.

UserPostedImage

Unfortunately it's legs, ear and scull are slightly second hand on reverse side, but still a sweet find. Quite suprised with the targets that surfaced, nothing especially deep though but as mentioned I had hit a couple of spots pretty hard in the past.....go the Excal or maybe it was just a case of luck/dig most targets/wet ground.
An enjoyable evening all in all, shame that ring wasn't gold diamond encrusted

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting people
PS The hunt was terminated..........
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 29 May 2016 7:46:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

roy1954  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2016 9:08:59 PM(UTC)
roy1954

never seen a lesche break before,silvers look in very nice condition nice work.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2016 9:40:44 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Thanks Roy yes bummer, it's been creaking and groaning for a while, I noticed a small crack on the blade a couple of hunts back.(considered repairing it but decided it would be quite nice to go metal detector accessory shopping instead and I think any repair would be short lived)
I might have been asking a bit much from it on some of the ocean hunts in the rock pools trying to pry targets from crevices.
I will probably get another but would appreciate opinions of other types.

PS anyone know who to contact in NZ for a Lesche.
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2016 10:47:48 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Iggyrulz Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Roy yes bummer, it's been creaking and groaning for a while, I noticed a small crack on the blade a couple of hunts back.(considered repairing it but decided it would be quite nice to go metal detector accessory shopping instead and I think any repair would be short lived)
I might have been asking a bit much from it on some of the ocean hunts in the rock pools trying to pry targets from crevices.
I will probably get another but would appreciate opinions of other types.

PS anyone know who to contact in NZ for a Lesche.

www.puiakisupply.co.nz
go to the landscaping tools page.
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2016 9:21:39 AM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Mine lesche broke last year in the same place and it wasn't even quite a year old, the good old boys at Puiaki managed a replacement for me.
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2016 10:41:34 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Sneaked out of the house for a look a couple of nights back......with a temporary makeshift digging tool.
UserPostedImage

Concentrated mainly on the obscure spots. Five minutes into the hunt I foolishly filled a gumboot with cold wet water (as H2o usually is).

Nothing especially exciting emerged, although the following pic had me going for a bit. It was tangled around a very small root as a gold chain should be, moments later after some careful extraction, slightly disappointed...... Oh well still a nice sinker if sinkers are your thing.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

HH Iggy
PS thanks for dropping off the shinny new Lesche tonight Robert

Edited by user Thursday, 2 June 2016 10:48:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

11 Pages«<891011>