New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

11 Pages«<91011
Erickd  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2016 2:12:23 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
lol nice post, most enjoyable to read
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2016 7:11:22 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Last nights hunt was an interesting evening at a new spot I've been meaning to check out for a while.
My B in law was down for the night and I managed to encourage him to come out for a look....... And what a perfect chance to get my F4 and Pro pointer back from loan :)

No location shots this time around.... Much to busy trying to instill correct digging techniques etc.
Basically very interesting comparing the two machines on the same targets..... I was quite suprised how often the F4 struggled to identify or even failed to pick up some targets at all, where the Excal rang out a clean repeatable signal.
Similar experience with the Garret Pro Pointer vs the Deteknix diver. (Points going to the Garret this time although some falsing by applying pressure to the tip)

Anyway the results ......
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

An enjoyable night out and a few odd ball finds which I always love. The ring is a homemade brass work of art carved from a peice of tube.

HH Iggy
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2016 9:32:13 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Back to the bush for more exploration and it didn't disappoint.

UserPostedImage

As with previous hunt, evidence of lots of firearm activity. Pulled a Timeout game token, first for me. Actually thought it was something extra good for a moment.

UserPostedImage

Found a real sweet Mary had a little lamb pin, amazed it wasn't flattened.

UserPostedImage

The 1916 sixpence was a nice little surprise, funny thing with it was that it was found heading back to the car off to the side of a hole which had been dug the night before!
I'm naturally inclined to believe this was one my Brother in Law had dug:) it was great to rediscover it.

UserPostedImage

Two nice Dunedin tramways tokens 1865. I'm a bit disappointed with how both broke away during cleaning :( was being pretty careful I thought. I'm wondering if this is where they were punched by ticket man as they were heavily corroded in those areas.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A nice grease container complete with contents

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Until next time HH Iggy
The end
number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 June 2016 11:15:18 AM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Nice group of finds mate. Those tramway tokens are super cool.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 June 2016 1:47:07 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: number8wire Go to Quoted Post
Nice group of finds mate. Those tramway tokens are super cool.

Thanks N8 on further research the 1865 date is somewhat misleading, this is the year the Dunedin City council was formed. One source tells of minting from March 1901 till Feb 1907 another saying issued in early 1906.

Apparently the octagonal shape was not popular at all. Lots on Trademe at the moment if anyone wants any (packs of 14 for around $10 and singles around the $3 ). Mmmmmmmm no I think I will keep looking for more buried ones. With all those torn pockets from the sharp octagonal points spilling tokens everywhere...........

How hard can it be :)
HH Iggy
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 12 June 2016 5:55:05 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

The last three hunts produced some cool keepers......

First outing I went looking near by to previous mission

UserPostedImage

Found a fully intact condom tin (pretty worn out) but it's usually lids only in the past for me. A few more of those white jars (anyone know anything about them?) and a cool little porcelain piece

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The tiny shoe was a surprise when I got home and cleaned things up, I just thought it was a piece of rubbish.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

HUNT TWO......
A bit of google map research on the couch one night directed me to explore a new spot which didn't disappoint.

UserPostedImage

The hunt started off a bit slow and the usual junk.... Then boom 1872 gothic florin :)

UserPostedImage

With moral now at high levels onwards. Not sure about this next one, no holes in it and definitely not a fishing spot. Musket ball mmmm don't know, it looks like it's been poured in two halves.
An interesting live round also appeared.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Continue we must. A few more silvers, an odd ball engraving on piece of old fork, couple of pocket knives.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I'm semi sure I unearthed an old super worn 34mm penny (based on next hunts research) [although just found out it could be an early trade token as some of them were same size]and then out of nowhere BOOM

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Once again the night lights were misleading, but it sure did look like the real deal.
1934 Catholic medallion, plated silver by the looks but pretty cool.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rounded out the night with a trade token :)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

HUNT THREE
Struggled big time for what seemed like an hour with nothing but can slaw, foil and pull tabs and then bingo...... That magical sound of 'probably a coin' YES a 2 cent piece. She was pretty tough going but I did manage to score an old Britt Penny.

UserPostedImage

And a few other random bits and bobs

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Until next time HH Iggy

Edited by user Sunday, 12 June 2016 8:01:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

coinnut  
Posted : Sunday, 12 June 2016 7:53:39 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Wow! awesome post Iggy

Luvin the florin.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
roy1954  
Posted : Sunday, 12 June 2016 10:29:23 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
great score with the viki florin one of the best coins minted .the token looks in good nik carefull when you clean it use olive oil that looks a good un.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 13 June 2016 12:28:33 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: roy1954 Go to Quoted Post
great score with the viki florin one of the best coins minted .the token looks in good nik carefull when you clean it use olive oil that looks a good un.

Thanks Roy, yes it's in good nic and bathing in olive oil, and will be for some time yet. I've just made a cleaning storage box/station to house all my bits, soaking coins etc oh and my wife's best tea towels :) so it's happily in there with some other finds.

The olive oil treatment is a slow process though. And by being impatient some previous finds have suffered during improper cleaning methods. (Sometimes it's a case of, to clean or not to clean, with the leave it alone option being best). I have had some things soaking for weeks on end with no gunk budging at all (toothpick, toothbrush combo) I wondered how a small pointed brass object would go carefully.
I'm guessing that after say a month in oil, with regular careful poking and prodding, it's as good as it's going to get.
Anybody with advice on this subject would be appreciated.

HH Iggy
coinnut  
Posted : Monday, 13 June 2016 8:32:07 AM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Make sure you use bog standard olive oil not virgin or extra virgin. The later squeeze's of the press contains the most acid & will cut cleaning time.

Ive had things soaking for ages Iggy, they never come out perfect but do show signs of improvment.

Edited by user Monday, 13 June 2016 8:44:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2016 9:35:46 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Yeah baby! Sinkers are my thing :) it even has a casting hallmark!

The tramways tokens are wicked, and love the way that other token has corroded, I reckon it adds value.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2016 10:00:11 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Lol I'm hearing ya, there's nothing better than a home built one of a kind sinker :)
Mmm might have a spare display case just for them.
HH Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2016 10:56:25 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
HAHAHAHA that is a brilliant idea - keep the burglars busy with something very heavy but valueless!
I'm off to paint some iron ore gold, it'll look just the same!
UserPostedImage
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2016 6:11:04 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

It's been awhile since the coil had tasted sand.
Low tide was expected at 8pm..... It was 6pm and temperature was dropping big time.......but if I was going then it was time to move and fast.

I arrived at the grounds at 7pm (would have been better if it was an hour or so earlier).

UserPostedImage

Still there was lots of mud flats to explore and the night was young.
I pretty much had the place to myself except for one slightly mad fisherman, who I'm sure thought the same about myself.

Lots of targets for sure to be had, pretty happy to get a minter 1896 Penny lurking in the grass.
The usual as expected sinkers and misc items. The bitterly cold night finally got the better of me and with the finds bag overflowing (I lost a second fork out the top......I've got lots in the cutlery draw at home so not all bad) it was time to pull the pin and head for home.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A good time was had, I got onto a wee patch, inside bend of river with lots of rocks/stones embedded with a heap of targets.........this spot kept me entertained for some time and I was hoping for some serious greatness to emerge into the beam of my headlamp but not to be.

HH Iggy
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2016 12:57:16 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Serious greatness to emerge is a wonderful thought Iggy.
Like that pre 1900 penny, i cant seem to get under 1908 with the pennies, all in good time.
See you found a ring too, any markings.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2016 1:21:17 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Serious greatness to emerge is a wonderful thought Iggy.
Like that pre 1900 penny, i cant seem to get under 1908 with the pennies, all in good time.
See you found a ring too, any markings.

Yes the pre 1900's can be tricky. I'm not sure about that ring or even if it is a ring? It's well worn, super thin with razor sharp edges, looks steel (ish) and I'm not sure if it would liked to be cleaned.
I guess a gentle rub on the meatiest part with the Dremel wouldn't hurt.

HH Iggy
jeff b  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2016 2:59:36 PM(UTC)
jeff b

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 25 post(s)
way Bloody cool iggy
SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY. OTHER TIMES I LET HER SLEEP
11 Pages«<91011