New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

11 Pages«<7891011>
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 6 February 2016 10:59:23 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Hi all, the last three hunts results are in. Basically pretty sad.... But interesting at the same time!
Hunt 1 and another fabulous evening.

UserPostedImage

I have been here before and to be honest I wasn't expecting too much.... Why you ask? Every time I have hunted here (approx five times) I have struggled to get onto the nectar. But on this particular hunt things were different!
Enough talk onto the finds...... Ahh correction 'find'

UserPostedImage

Yep that was it after around an hour and a half or so, ohh and around 30 bottle tops/20 pull tabs.
I was actually praying for a 1c at one point, unbelievable really but she can be tough out there at times.

Hunt 2 (still licking my wounds from the night before)
UserPostedImage

Another late evening hunt and a new spot.
Plenty of targets, soo all good. Failed to remove anything of greatness from the ground but had a good time out.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hunt 3 was a wee evening/night mission.
UserPostedImage

Wanted to try out a new floating sifter I had made. Overall it worked pretty well really. I have added an extra noddle around perimeter of main screen (one noddle is inserted inside of pvc pipe) and fined up the screen on the upper level as the lower screen was getting loaded up too much.
Now here's a question for you water hunters out there.....
Ever lost your scoop before?
Well after sorting a few teething problems darkness fell and this spot isn't exactly known for its clear blue water, so visability was poor at best.
I was four of five scoops into a target ( yes still struggling a bit with retrieval) when I noticed my top screen floating away happily by itself. Mm mm not ideal I thought to myself so off I went in pursuit.
I probably only went 20 maybe 30 metres from were I was digging but when I returned do you think I could find my scoop!
After about 5 minutes or so this was starting to get embarrassing and to cap it off I could hear a ' just turned up dog walking passer by ' calling out "excuse me what are you looking for?" And not just the once, thank godness for headphones!
Long story short it took me a solid ten minutes of frantic searching in the murky water before I finally was reunited with my scoop WHEW unbelievable it actually felt like twice that long. It turns out I wasn't alone as I could just make out a nice big two foot long eel, maybe it moved my scoop!

Anyway the results were slim but I did learn a couple of things ( a float for handle of scoop for one)
UserPostedImage

Ohh and after all that I still couldn't get the target out of that five scoop hole, but the ground is super hard.
Happy hunting all Iggy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 7 February 2016 8:02:02 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
I'd be spending a bit more time at site 2 - even though I suspect it could be dumped domestic refuse, that much (older) stuff looks promising.

As for scoops, I have a wooden shovel handle on mine. Can happily let go and it sits upright in the water.
Glad you managed to find your scoop - would have been huge embarrassment if someone posted how they found a scoop a few months later :)

Don't feel bad about getting skunked - I'm currently zero for two at the moment, albeit I'm after something in particular, but still hard getting back in the car with nothing but tabs in the bag
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 7 February 2016 9:51:55 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Yeh thanks MW I might look into a wooden one at the moment it's fibreglass and usually the tip of the handle bobs on the surface- but not the other night!
Cheers Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 7 February 2016 11:21:39 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Great story.
Attach a bit of metal to the scoop so you can detect it if lost.

That floating sifter looks amazing, would love to see some detailed photo's over in Tips / Equipment section.
It probably needs an anchor, you can get very small grappling hooks from boat shops.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 7 February 2016 12:10:11 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Thank PD ha ha you nearly had a job after finding that ring in Fiordland. Yes she's got a small anchor on it once I sort the bugs out I will post some pics.
HH Iggy
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 13 February 2016 12:41:29 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Hi all the last two hunts didn't result in a lot of the old stuff, but fingers crossed for the next outing :)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Got a few bits from the beach but she was too sanded in, most of the finds came from the inlet.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Best find I guess was the lonely button, any ideas? I had a good look on the www but was obviously not entering the right commands.
I'm going out tonight for a wee look and might try my luck on those really faint targets and see what they bring.
Good luck and enjoy Iggy
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 10:43:58 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Cool button Iggy. Hope you can id it as it looks very interesting.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 10:55:03 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
The button looks like a scout button.
I can see a flag with a cross on it, one over the other. I'd say it's a very nice old scouts button. Great finds as always! :)
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 12:09:56 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post
I can see a flag with a cross on it, one over the other. I'd say it's a very nice old scouts button. Great finds as always! :)

Thanks LKWD mmmmm scouts could well be, I will do a wee search on that.
Cheers Iggy
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 12:13:10 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Iggyrulz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post

Thanks LKWD mmmmm scouts could well be, I will do a wee search on that.
Cheers Iggy

Are there any letters between the arms of the cross Iggy?

MK

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 12:23:27 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

No cant see anything visible at all just a rope like pattern around the outer edge of button. There is a faint mark on top left of flag which I can't make out even under magnification .
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 14 February 2016 12:57:39 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Iggyrulz Go to Quoted Post
No cant see anything visible at all just a rope like pattern around the outer edge of button. There is a faint mark on top left of flag which I can't make out even under magnification .

Try taking another pic of just the button on a plain background and then get Google to search the web for that image.
Works sometimes.

MK

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 22 February 2016 9:29:08 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Hi all, managed an enjoyable evening hunt a week or so back. The wet suit stayed behind and I concentrated on the shallows and shoreline.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
It was one of those nights where every man including his dog wanted to come up and chat :) we have all been there though.

Next we outing and back out on the expansive beach sand. Couple of days earlier surfing with the kids couldn't help but notice the packed beach and where people were sitting/ playing etc. Wasn't expecting much and didn't get much :)

UserPostedImage

Tried to grid off the beach as best I could and got just enough signals to keep the interest there including the usual bottle tops.
I was quite happy beach to my self .....to be expected 10.30 week nights, and then the dreaded low pitch growl hit with no warning indicating flat battery.
Bum I hadn't charged her since last two hunts and I would have to leave all those rings on the second half of the beach I wouldn't be able to search (I wish)

Next hunt was a quick wee poke around the rocks while waiting on the young surfers.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Had a cute kid following me round repeatedly requesting that I remove my earphones....probably because I was repeatedly telling her I couldn't hear her :)

Final hunt was late arvo today. Nice handy spot ground was rock hard ( farm paddock, so no biggie) but left the jack hammer behind.
Couple of paddocks later and at the river banks
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The half crown was a needed boost as I seemed to be digging lots of faint as signals only to find super deep beer cans.
HH everyone Iggy
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Monday, 22 February 2016 10:13:37 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I really like the tiki shillings, great finds as always and a great read aswell! Very nice pictures too.
Keep up the excellent work!
GL and HH
LittleKiwi

Edited by user Monday, 22 February 2016 10:14:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

roy1954  
Posted : Monday, 22 February 2016 10:34:23 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
hi,what you recon that stopper is off, beer keg? ye old rum barrel,good pics
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 22 February 2016 11:11:04 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: roy1954 Go to Quoted Post
hi,what you recon that stopper is off, beer keg? ye old rum barrel,good pics

Yeah bit of a mystery that one. Iniatially when found just thought it was a nozzle but on closer inspection definately a stopper. There used to be an old water tower near by years ago but doubt if it's related to that..... ? Just a thought there used to be lots of old steamers etc back in the day in the waters. A Bung off an old boat???
Cheers Roy

Edited by user Monday, 22 February 2016 11:20:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Addition

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 25 February 2016 8:13:26 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Evening all, a quick roundup of last two hunts.
Hunt#1
An after work mini road trip to a new coastal spot.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
There were plenty of targets lurking around the rocks and unusually not alot of trash.
UserPostedImage
The century old shilling was a nice moral booster along with the ring.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Hunt#2

Managed to sneak a wee Central Otago hunt in the next day after work. ( the advantages of being on the road early). Nice day up there, not too hot perfect for treasure hunting.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I seemed to get along much better with my scoop, which was pleasing........although I did chase the odd bottle top half way around the lake. Most bottle tops have a bit of a give away sound, however a few were not so clear and the old what if it's a .....mindset.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The ring I'm guessing is junk there are no markings, it's not yellow enough for gold but dosnt look orangey (is that a word ?) for copper. Anyway I'll take it, until next time Iggy
steptoeandson  
Posted : Thursday, 25 February 2016 8:36:43 PM(UTC)
steptoeandson

New Zealand

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Great finds iggy, hopes theres still some left out there for us lol
roy1954  
Posted : Friday, 26 February 2016 2:13:24 AM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
looks like 9ct rose goldnice find
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Friday, 26 February 2016 10:14:10 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: roy1954 Go to Quoted Post
looks like 9ct rose goldnice find

I was secretly hoping someone might say 'rose gold'. I did have a google prior to posting and the colour did match pretty well to the pics. However quite suprised how quickly it is starting to tarnish ( ie overnight) maybe due to being at the bottom of the lake for who knows how long. Unsure if rose gold would do that so quickly though.
Cheers Iggy
11 Pages«<7891011>