New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
number8wire  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 8:16:13 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gogold Go to Quoted Post
bring on a nation wide ban on digging in our public parks, reserves and beaches!!!!!!! its a terrible practise and you always hear the same old bullshit excuse of "if its done correctly you cant even tell" but you are still digging up public land.

Awesome post!.......so helpful and constructive. Let me guess......a greenie who's been mentored by Sue Bradford?
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
LepreSean  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 9:07:37 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Been divining with various transmitters over a year now and I was very lucky to have had instruction from one of the gurus (Tony). He taught me a two cut hole, making a triangle with a flap, target in the center of the triangle. I do not use a pinpointer as I became very learned using Hirequip's rented x-terra30 with a dodgy coil, am surprised that 99% of my targets come out intact from between tree roots LoL ;) You will always have people who think everything should be privatised(what was good for the goose is no longer good for the gander)these people are just wound up seeing others exercising freedom. So keep up the freedom people!!!!FREEDOM!!!
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
oroplata  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 9:37:51 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
bring on a nation wide ban on digging in our public parks, reserves and beaches!!!!!!! its a terrible practise and you always hear the same old bullshit excuse of "if its done correctly you cant even tell" but you are still digging up public land.

Someone obviously is having trouble grasping the concept of PUBLIC land.

Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 10:27:49 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Actually I thought his post (GoGolds) was a pretty good indicator of what I meant by putting it in the to hard basket and blanketing the problem.

Maybe you shouldn't be standing on your Torana looking accross the fence GoGold.... but I guess after all it is a public forum *8^)
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 6:52:25 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Quote from Ruebin

Good point Hatter, why doesn't any go "Ape Shit" after a Rugby game?? Because the reality is after a couple of rains and mows most ground recovers pretty well. Maybe public/park hunting should be confined to the wetter months??

This is a point I was going to raise in my post too but I had to go help the Mrs with dinner... When things are dry its very hard on the lawn when you cut plugs so its better to go down to the beach or a forested area. In dunedin the Green belt around the town was great for when the rest of the parks were too dry or too wet to dig.

I think of all the places to detect the beach is probably the leasty likel place to cause anybody offence and its perfect regadless of soil moisture conditions. After all digging holes at the beach is a long accepted ast time. Detecting has the added bonus of removing rubish from the beach too.
Im not sure about this but i suspect that anybody who does indeed have aproblem with beach detectorists has actually got misdirected anger issues brought on by a certain disproportionally small appendage.

While I am an advocate of detecting (obivously) as with all things discretion and a bit of common sense (im not sure why its actually called that!!!) are required in order not to ruin things for ourselves...

Long live out sport!

Edited by user Friday, 14 February 2014 6:53:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 8:39:34 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I would be very surprised if any of the damage was caused by forum members. We only represent a very small percentage of the total number of people who own a detector in NZ and this issue crops up enough times that any member is well aware of detecting ethics and of were to dig and how to do it properly.

Education is the only way to reduce these sort of incidents and this is where the forum shines. If you come across somebody who is making a mess of things then approach them, teach them how to dig a proper plug and where not to detect. This can be done in a non confrontational way by talking about how to use their detectors and the hobby in general. There will always be some a@#$holes who don't care about the repercussions of the mess they make but these are few and far between - the majority of those who doing wrong simply don't know that they are doing wrong. Its up to us to educate them for the sake of our hobby and this forum is the main source of information in NZ.

I don't believe that posting pics of finds in anyway encourages people to dig in sports parks or leave a mess behind. They would do this anyway, and if no finds were posted on this forum then they will simply see what is found in the overseas forums and deduce that the same can be found here. This is what I did when I first started. Keep posting the pics!

Put it this way: If this forum closed down tomorrow and everybody reading this hung up their detectors for good the incidents like the Hagley cricket field won't suddenly stop, in fact I believe they will increase as more beginners take up detecting with no way of learning the correct ethics.

Edited by user Friday, 14 February 2014 8:42:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 9:42:28 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

I would expect a nation wide ban on alcohol being consumed in our parks, reserves & beaches as its getting awefully tiring picking up THEIR trash after their drug fixes - Thank goodness theres a group of fellow kiwi's who take time out of their busy life to go to the PUBLIC areas and clean up after these druggies -

tell me gogold - how much rubbish have you cleaned up from your local parks, reserves & beaches lately ?????

Does your local council employ anyone to pick up rubbish from these areas???

Yet theres a group of switched on people who clean up these areas at no cost to their fellow ratepayers, yet you want to ban them due to hysteria - you must be fun to go bush with sir

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
gogold  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 10:04:52 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

Someone obviously is having trouble grasping the concept of PUBLIC land.

yea public land for everyone to use not for a few fucktards to destroy and dig up junk that's better off in the ground. its destruction of public property aka vandalism.
number8wire  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 10:52:31 AM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post

Yet theres a group of switched on people who clean up these areas at no cost to their fellow ratepayers, yet you want to ban them due to hysteria - you must be fun to go bush with sir

LMFAO!!!!!! :) :) :)........funniest part of a post I have seen in ages......GO sycotoad!!!
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
FossickFester  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 12:31:31 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Ban on digging beaches? REALLY???

Quick,Quick, better run down to the beaches and stop those vandal children from digging holes to makes their sandcastles....LOL :)

Hatter, Shilo, Sycotoad and others on this thread have made good suggestions on how we could try to solve these problems.

Banning it outright is just a rediculous, easy way out answer that won't solve a frickin' thing. There is enough of our freedoms taken away because of this lets ban it mentality.

Seriously, why should the majority of peoples good effort of keeping our parks, beaches etc clean because of a few peoples mistakes? And to mention some people

who have lost items (many sentimental) have had them returned thanks to detectorists.
gogold  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 12:38:43 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Abusive post by gogold. You're a scavanger yourself, just scavanging for gold instead!
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 12:46:34 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Abusive post by gogold. You're a scavanger yourself, just scavanging for gold instead!
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 12:59:52 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Now now GoGold Father Xmas wont bring you a detector this year either if your behaviour doesn't improve.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 1:05:03 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Almost always its a minority that does things that upset people, in this case making a "mess" of parks.
Funnily enough its always just a few people that get ther panties in a twist and complain!!!

So its just a small minority of messy detectorists upsetting a very small number of people of the pulic.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 1:05:14 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Almost always its a minority that does things that upset people, in this case making a "mess" of parks.
Funnily enough its always just a few people that get ther panties in a twist and complain!!!

So its just a small minority of messy detectorists upsetting a very small number of people of the pulic.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 1:05:14 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

number8wire  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 1:28:29 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 1:36:47 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

I was expecting someone to suggest a group hunt in Gore! *8^)

Good to have a bit of spice as it brings out different angles of thought. Also shows a unity of the people that actually care.
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 2:18:53 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

yea public land for everyone to use not for a few fucktards to destroy and dig up junk that's better off in the ground. its destruction of public property aka vandalism.

now let me get this right -

'if you drink, your a bloody idiot'

&

if you pick up after them, your a "fucktard who destroys public property" whilst saving our precious history & cleaning up after 'bloody idiots' - if this was true about your hysterical insignificant vandalism dig, then dont you think the police would be arresting metal detectorists for vandlism?

The police would tell you sir that if you have evidence of someone destroying the parks, reserves, or beaches then present that evidence to the police & they will act on that accordingly -
Now the way I see it, it would only take you a few moments of your dramatic life take pictures of metal detectorist & damaged caused, present it to the authorities & get over it -

That would take you about the same time as it takes you to have a bitch on here -

Geez if these girly posts keep up, I might have to start sitting down to pee as well

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 14 February 2014 2:27:38 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

4 Pages<1234>