New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages123>»
number8wire  
Posted : Monday, 10 February 2014 1:06:49 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Had a heated discussion the other day when I asked the head groundsman at Hagley Oval for permission to detect the big piles of soil taken from around the grounds, ahead of the impending new developments. He was ok with me doing this and appreciated my asking but was at the same time, furious with the ignorant and selfish detectorists that have been digging (with spades!) on the cricket fields. In one case, a substantial hole was dug within a foot of the main cricket block on the main field!!! This is within the last two weeks.

He is out for blood on this and will be taking photo's of anybody digging on the fields. He will then take these photos to both Police and Council to get actioned. He will be following offenders back to their cars to get rego's for the police to follow through.
He has been very tollerant in the past and is still ok with us digging along the treelines (at this stage) but the fields are a definate NO GO!

I certainly got the feeling that our days of free hunting around the periferals of Hagley may well be numbered if he gets his way......or things don't change in a hurry!

If you are responsible for digging these fields, please take heed and understand the long term consequences for us all.
The responsible and respectful detectorists amongst us (the majority), will be out there watching and waiting with cameras ready, to record your f#*kwitterage too.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
simon  
Posted : Monday, 10 February 2014 2:35:34 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I'm really surprised no one has got in the shit for digging up fields/parks already. no matter how tidy the hole is made out to be a hole is still being dug and the ground disturbed, in the grounds where people spend time making it usable for all to enjoy the green open spaces for whatever use. It's all good to say it's just the one person or whatever but in reality there's probably a whole bunch of people doing the same. Publicly spreading the word on sites like this brings the same repercussions as on the gold side of things when people are digging where they should not be. soon someone will be made an example of i reckon. in this case whoever dug up next to the wicket would have obviously known they should not have, no doubt about it. i'm surprised the groundsman said it was ok to dig among the trees too, as this can damage the roots of trees if they have shallow roots, and also let in fungus/disease to the trees i believe.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 10 February 2014 5:23:17 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Thanks for the heads up for Cantabrians #8, Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me most people on the forum are pretty responsible individuals who all take this Metal detecting pretty seriously and want to protect what we have. Which is a good thing, the culprits responsible may have never heard of Paydirt before let alone seen or read any code of ethics. I don't know what the answer is and there unfortunately probably is not one.
One thing that could be handy for newbies especially, is some sort of "detailed" guide on the do's and dont's (possibly drawn up by a handful of the more experienced members, which in it self could be quite difficult as everyone will have a slightly different opinion). Another difficulty is what may be fine or acceptable in one area or district, may well not be acceptable in another area of the country.

How do you get this info to the ones that need it???? I really don't know.
-somewhere on this forum (will they read it?)
-in an issue of Fossickers & Collectors (did see a smaller less detailed code of ethics in one)
- provided with new detectors (pretty hard to implement)
-catch them in the act (maybe, could be near on impossible.
-internet (hundreds there now!)

Sorry to hear about the run in with caretaker, hope it hasn't taken the buzz away from that awesome locket which will be pretty hard to top.

Iggy

Edited by user Monday, 10 February 2014 5:57:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldstalker  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 1:03:02 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
i know try hunt somewere else lol hagley has been getting drilled since everyone posting awesome finds and saying were from, ive even seen people from overseas talking on here about coming over for a holiday and detecting hagley park, maybe abit more hush hush on were your digging might stop so many amatuers and randoms from digging whopping holes, just a thought :)
number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 2:37:51 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: goldstalker Go to Quoted Post
i know try hunt somewere else lol hagley has been getting drilled since everyone posting awesome finds and saying were from, ive even seen people from overseas talking on here about coming over for a holiday and detecting hagley park, maybe abit more hush hush on were your digging might stop so many amatuers and randoms from digging whopping holes, just a thought :)

Yep.....can't argue with that GS. Trouble is, the horse bolted on this way back in the late 90's. Every man and his dog (with an interest in detecting) knows all about the infamous Hagley and her treasures, so the tide is well and truly in on this.
Fortunately, I've got a good spot out of town, so I think I'll only post finds from there now........................actually.........................I think I'll stop posting ........................................

Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 5:34:07 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Don't do that #8, keep posting.
What if everybody kept all the rubbish and crap they dig up and posted pics of that occasionally?. As with the TV shows it all looks quite glamorous from the sidelines. You never see KG or the Ringmaster dig up any pull tabs, or rubbish. Just the good stuff, which makes it quite appealing to newcomers.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 7:01:25 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
You mean like this?

2 hours, no coins or goodies whatsoever...
Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
Sent.jpg
number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 7:26:05 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
You mean like this?

Ahhhh yes.....I know exactly what you mean. We all post the good stuff but sometimes we need to remind others that it's not all blue skies and rainbows. Here's a few pics of the junk I have collected over the past few months. It's a good reminder of the ratio between trash and treasure.....and ultimately keeps a good head space check on the realities of the hobby!
number8wire attached the following image(s):
20140211_191125.jpg
20140211_191040.jpg
20140211_191019.jpg
20140211_191104.jpg
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 February 2014 9:08:17 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Exactly, I might start taking a few pics myself.
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 12:33:38 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I never dig any trash but that is purely because one mans Trash is anothers Treasure. *8^P

A bit of petrol money to be made from the scrap.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 1:31:10 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
You mean like this?

Found nothing - nah look how much you have increased the "Fleet". :-)

Ever noticed how toys can be an indicator to the possible age of the goodies in the area.

MK

coinnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 2:51:14 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: number8wire Go to Quoted Post
Had a heated discussion the other day when I asked the head groundsman at Hagley Oval for permission to detect the big piles of soil taken from around the grounds, ahead of the impending new developments. He was ok with me doing this and appreciated my asking but was at the same time, furious with the ignorant and selfish detectorists that have been digging (with spades!) on the cricket fields. In one case, a substantial hole was dug within a foot of the main cricket block on the main field!!! This is within the last two weeks.

He is out for blood on this and will be taking photo's of anybody digging on the fields. He will then take these photos to both Police and Council to get actioned. He will be following offenders back to their cars to get rego's for the police to follow through.
He has been very tollerant in the past and is still ok with us digging along the treelines (at this stage) but the fields are a definate NO GO!

I certainly got the feeling that our days of free hunting around the periferals of Hagley may well be numbered if he gets his way......or things don't change in a hurry!

If you are responsible for digging these fields, please take heed and understand the long term consequences for us all.
The responsible and respectful detectorists amongst us (the majority), will be out there watching and waiting with cameras ready, to record your f#*kwitterage too.

Think the time may be nearing that we let Hagley R.I.P
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 8:29:19 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

The problem is Coinnut. You guys leaving it is going to have little to no effect as it's not you guys causing the problem. The people that are causing the issues aren't going to stop so why should you guys miss out? The worst part of it is that you guys will get painted with the same brush and I appreciate that sucks big time!

There are few posters I admire, NB8W and yours are always of interest and when I say admire I don't just mean the finds but you blokes as detectorists. It's a shame there aren't more cut from the same cloth!

Woops a few to many cliches in there but you know what I mean.
coinnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 8:47:54 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
The problem is Coinnut. You guys leaving it is going to have little to no effect as it's not you guys causing the problem. The people that are causing the issues aren't going to stop so why should you guys miss out? The worst part of it is that you guys will get painted with the same brush and I appreciate that sucks big time!

There are few posters I admire, NB8W and yours are always of interest and when I say admire I don't just mean the finds but you blokes as detectorists. It's a shame there aren't more cut from the same cloth!

Woops a few to many cliches in there but you know what I mean.

Well said Guardian, I usually just post my finds & don't get to involved in the politics of detecting so I suppose its my feeble attempt to distance myself (& everyone else on here) from all the bad things happening out there but yeah I imagine its all in vain. One day it will hit the news & that will be it.....we'll be the new lepers.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 9:00:48 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Nice one Number8wire. Good on you for sticking up for most. As mentioned, a code of ethics wont save us. In saying that we all mostly follow that anyhows. There are begginners and rogues and nothing will stop that side of things.
I liken it to fishing, there are those who stick to regulation and those who dont. Those who dont are strongly dealt to by the law and those who do frown down upon them without the repocussions.
Im guessing that sooner or later we will all face regulation and those who fail to reach theses standards will be corrected one way or another.
I dont think we have anything to fear if we stick to doing what we know is right. United we stand, departed we fall.
Think before you dig and be safe out there.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 February 2014 9:43:04 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

First concept - It may also detract people from not cleaning up after there pooch. *8^)

Seriously though.

From the other side of the coin (geeze just can't seem to stop tonight). It's a little like being caught doing nothing wrong and then having to pleade the case that you aren't the bad guy and that infact there is a large proportion of good detectorists that are appauled by these "others". I'm guessing much like NB8W.

When it does come to the crunch it will be another freedom taken away because it is easier to blanket the problem rather than tackal the few who ruin it.
Guardian attached the following image(s):
sos_hagley.jpg
gogold  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 5:44:53 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
bring on a nation wide ban on digging in our public parks, reserves and beaches!!!!!!! its a terrible practise and you always hear the same old bullshit excuse of "if its done correctly you cant even tell" but you are still digging up public land.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 5:46:00 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

This seems to be a hot topic, so I thought I might add a couple of suggestions from a 'newbies' point of view (which is me).

First suggestion.
Partly continuing from early post. What if every new member were to be sent via PM, email, or other means, an 'official important notice'. Which would include all the do's and don'ts in DETAIL including retrieval tips, cheap make do tools, (a lot of people start off with just the detector and nothing else, except maybe the garden shovel). Tips on where to go and where definately not to go. Stress the importance of 'permissions'. Include some links to extra good sites regarding digging techniques etc. etc. And stress that they revisit there sites to check up on the state of the ground on a regular basis. I believe when starting out people tend to move around a fair bit looking for new spots to hunt, and are probably unaware of any damage that they may be doing unless you revisit. I realise most of this info is out there on the net, and other areas of this forum, but you do have to find it. Obviously there will be the ones that don't give a *^*, and some that buy a detector from Trade Me for example and just start hooking into it!

Second suggestion.
Some members living nearby to a newbie may like to offer a little time (which I know is very limited). To provide some hands on tips pretty much covering the above, or even an invitation to communicate via PM with a few questions now and again.

I am quite sure most new people into this great hobby would be more than keen to travel an hour or two to meet up for a few pointers and watch an expert dig a few holes and give a little advice. Not suggesting you give away your secrete spots or too much info or time. One thing to keep in mind also is, you just don't know what or who this Newbie knows, you may come out of the situation with a pointer for yourself, couple of new permissions, new contact or hunting location and maybe a new friend, who knows.

I have just recently met up with a local member which was great, and even in a short time have learnt quite a bit. One thing I did notice was the size of his..............

Ground sheet! about as big as a face cloth. Mine, the size of a table cloth!
That says something in it self.

Just a thought Iggy

Edited by user Thursday, 13 February 2014 6:17:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 7:09:33 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gogold Go to Quoted Post
bring on a nation wide ban on digging in our public parks, reserves and beaches!!!!!!! its a terrible practise and you always hear the same old bullshit excuse of "if its done correctly you cant even tell" but you are still digging up public land.

Interesting post, sadly digging up public land is part and parcel of the detecting/prospecting/fossicking scene. Even if you have a river claim the majority of waterways are public in that your are legally to walk along them (queens chain or something). I know that after dredging there is certainly more than a little mess left, until the next flood that is.
In parks which I have detected extensively I have on many occasions seen a field left in a hell of a muddy state after muddy rugby or soccer games with big patches of grass wrecked

Obivously some areas are of greater importance and maintained much more such as memorials etc and these should be left alone... General parks such as Hadley or woodhaugh park in Dunedin which have large expanses of grass without sports field and areas of bush, in my opinion lend themselves well to detecting. That is if proper care is taken!! Perhaps as with dredging limitations and guidelines should be imposed on the detectorist, which if broken, carry fines.

Cheers!

Edited by user Thursday, 13 February 2014 7:14:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Reubin  
Posted : Thursday, 13 February 2014 7:51:27 PM(UTC)
Reubin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I walk my dogs regularly in Hagley and you don't have to look to hard to see the numerous round shallow plugs that are cut out all over North and South Hagley, this kills the grass roots, they dry out die and get thrown out by the mowers. Many holes show no effort what so ever at being filled and many more even have the metallic rubbish left beside them. The best plugs are the ones dug on three sides only and flipped out on the 4th side like a hinge, this leaves the grass roots intact. If you cant see where you have just recovered your target, you've done your job properly.

The worst offenders are those advertising there finds on line creating this mini rush to the park and organising group hunts.

Good point Hatter, why doesn't anyone go "Ape Shit" after a Rugby game?? Because the reality is after a couple of rains and mows most ground recovers pretty well. Maybe public/park hunting should be confined to the wetter months??

Edited by user Friday, 14 February 2014 9:30:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

4 Pages123>»