New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
Whitworthone  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 3:34:35 PM(UTC)
Whitworthone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
In my humble opinion the mix is about right. You can find what you want and look at other peoples interests and finds too. Its only a click away!
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 6:05:50 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Wow! Just got back from a weekend away snowboarding - looks like I've poked a stick in to a bit of a hornets nest before I left :P

Thanks to everyone for their input - it's much appreciated. There definitely seems to be a bit of a polarised viewpoint!

Ok, my current thinking now is to tone back the original suggestion in order to keep the site true to it's original gold intent, but still give a place to share these other non-gold finds (as I find them interesting too, and as they say "variety is the spice of life")...

I should add one more section under Discussion titled Other Treasures.

This wouldn't clutter the topics, but still provide an outlet for all those that would like to share their non-gold treasures-in-all-it's-forms finds. What's your thoughts on this?

@kiwijw - I've come across http://forum.treasurenet.com/ before - sometimes pop back to kill a few idle moments as there's lots of interesting stuff on there. Some very out there "treasure" sections too e.g. Marbles. But I guess everything is a treasure to someone. I think the "Other Treasures" section for Paydirt would be enough in this case ;)
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 6:14:04 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
that would work to gavin..anything that gives us a place to put our non gold post of our finds that way we dont put them under show and tell or anything.. then those that want to look will and those few that dont wont...simple...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 6:15:27 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Agreed.Would seem to be the cleanest way to do it...
crisyboy  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 7:47:08 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
yeah not cool dont think i will post anymore,
joined this site for like minded people,
didnt realise i had to be an expert staight away.
go back to my you tube vids.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 7:58:31 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Better that way than mixed in with the actuall gold forum....as at the end of the day coins etc have nothing in common at all with alluvial gold other than the fact you can find them boath with a detector.
gbm.
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 8:04:15 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Thanks Gavin, and apologies for the extra work this has caused.
tonznz  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 8:08:24 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
There are some thoroughly unpleasant people on this forum. I thought it particularly amusing that after one member rubbished another he then invited him out to the goldfields some time. A couple of these guys just bash away with the first thoughts that come into their heads. Then they react strongly to anyone who takes askance at their attitudes. I would like those of you walking away from this forum at this point just to wait for for Gavin to arrange some new headings and ignor the grumpy old men out there. Make a note, like I have, of who they are and just be a little bit wary of any interaction with them.

the gentle art of peruasion, classic quotes:

“rings etc are not gold in the true sence”

over the last few months its been invaded more and more by non gold stuff most of which you could probably find in the back yard....but thats just my opinion

eagle: have been starting to think the forum has turned into a coin & junk talk fest.

gingerbreadman: i mean are you honestly trying to compare those man handled rings all scratched and man made to the above bag of gold that in all probability has never seen the sun let alone been touched by a hand untill i got it....compareing the 2 is like mother nature verses going to the pawn shop....

Were you guys drunk when you wrote these?
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 8:15:29 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yes there are a few that think what they have is the best and everyone else's stuff is junk...once us detector ppl have our own little space on this forum the likes of GBM will then complain because there are people that have joined this forum that arnt from New Zealand and they shouldn"t be here because this is a NEW ZEALAND GOLD FOSSICKING FORUM
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 9:34:39 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
It is clear that some of us are interested in three related and yet different facets - Goldmining - treasure hunting - geology

They all go hand in hand and all have an important place in this forum.

I note that some 'amateur' 'goldminers; here seem to have no tolerance for anything other than gold - the old timers were more often than not remarkably knowledgeable in a lot more than gold - many were well versed in Geomorphology and geology, minerology and other related studies. They were enquiring people. They used their knowledge to 'read' the land and many discoveries were made not because they accidently stumbled upon them but because they could read the land, see the signs and made their discoveries accordingly. One of our major discoveries was made by a miner who knew that the land and soil was just like that of California and he made his discovery accordingly.

A great deal can be told about individuals by the narrow thought patterns they have as betrayed in the things they say and the lack of tolerance they have for the wider forum. I can only assume as I have witnessed for myself by showing a nugget or two and beginning a couple of topics that there is an element here who cannot think for themselves, have a limited interest and knowledge and cannot find gold through their own knowledge and have to ride to success on the backs of others. To them I would say broaden your interests, broaden your knowledge, and get out there and find things for yourselves rather than whine at what others find, put them down for it and dont think that gold is the beginning and end of everything. The coins and rings are treasures every bit as much as the gold and its great seeing what others have found.

Another interesting thing about the old timers was that their interests were such that if they were to come back onto this forum they would be looking at everything, to see, to learn - they would love the coin finds and rings - how do I know that? I have seen the items that the old timers carted from one goldfield to another - so much junk and yet they still carted them - I have found many items totally alien to goldmining which the old timers had obviously carted from one spot to another - I have even found Maori artifacts in Chinese hut sites at nearly 3000 feet altitude....carted all that way by a curious Chinese miner.

As for rings and things - if they aint silver or gold then they aint worthwhile - at least not from the dollar perspective BUT they are still treasure...and in most cases they ARE gold or silver. If the forum caters for everyone then it becomes stronger and more popular.

Edited by user Sunday, 28 August 2011 9:46:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 9:36:47 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi there....everyone is entitled to there own opinion

gingerbreadman: i mean are you honestly trying to compare those man handled rings all scratched and man made to the above bag of gold that in all probability has never seen the sun let alone been touched by a hand untill i got it....compareing the 2 is like mother nature verses going to the pawn shop....

i actually thought that was pretty good sorry if iv upset anyone but thats genually how i see it....

Now come on poobear no need to be silly and single me out i mean i havent singled any1 out....all my wanging on is just in general and with good reason...rings/coins/and anyother type,s of jewelry have nothing in common with gold....is that rite or wrong....????
there for why put them on a gold forum.....other than the fact that its "just a place to put them" because there is no other forum for such things..?

when you consider those facts you may understand why some of us feel the way we do i mean lets face it there,s far more coin people out there than us gold 1,s if every1 posted a pic every time they found a coin there wouldnt be any room for us grumpy old men and our gold lol......and then it wouldnt be a gold forum at all it could be ....quote "coin & junk talk fest"....youv gota have a wee chuckle at that...
GBM.

Edited by user Sunday, 28 August 2011 9:42:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 10:00:11 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Ginger,
I have been thinking about what you said about raw unrefined gold being superior to things made of gold and I have to say I completely disagree. That is like saying iron ore is better than a steel hammer. Objects made of gold are worth more than their gold content. The geologic history of gold is irrelevant to most people, the history of manufactured gold artefacts is of great interest and that is why Spanish doubloons are prized more than alluvial gold.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 10:56:49 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Ginger,
I have been thinking about what you said about raw unrefined gold being superior to things made of gold and I have to say I completely disagree. That is like saying iron ore is better than a steel hammer. Objects made of gold are worth more than their gold content. The geologic history of gold is irrelevant to most people, the history of manufactured gold artefacts is of great interest and that is why Spanish doubloons are prized more than alluvial gold.

Hi birdy
you can say what you like.... but to me gold is king no 2 bits are identicle it was made millions of years ago...possibly by god... when dinosaurs were wandering around and i think thats pretty cool.. next time you find a nugget just stop and look around you and picture what it was like when that peace was made...or for that matter how long it had been sitting there before you picked it up..you can not possibly compare that to coins...or a steel hammer !!

im not going to carry on bitching iv said my bit....id much rather think of plesant thing,s like when im allowed back in the river which is.....only 3 sleeps away.

so i shall leave all you coin/pawn shop /...junk fest people...to it next time you post a pic of a pile of $1 & $2 coins...youl no what were realy thinking ;)...take as many shots as you like at me and any like mind,d gold barrons.....chow.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:12:59 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Ginger,

Hi birdy
you can say what you like.... but to me gold is king no 2 bits are identicle it was made millions of years ago...possibly by god... when dinosaurs were wandering around and i think thats pretty cool.. next time you find a nugget just stop and look around you and picture what it was like when that peace was made...or for that matter how long it had been sitting there before you picked it up..you can not possibly compare that to coins...or a steel hammer !!

im not going to carry on bitching iv said my bit....id much rather think of plesant thing,s like when im allowed back in the river which is.....only 3 sleeps away.

so i shall leave all you coin/pawn shop /...junk fest people...to it next time you post a pic of a pile of $1 & $2 coins...youl no what were realy thinking ;)...take as many shots as you like at me and any like mind,d gold barrons.....chow.

Golly are you a gold barron Mr Gingerbreadman? Personally I got sick and tired of looking at gold and wanna see other things. Dinosaurs were late comers and early goers. In truth a 100 year old gold ring has far more history than the gold still in the river as it has been there, done that and then circulated in the hands of man for a long time. It all depends on how you look at things...Hmm a Gold Barron...now you dont want to call me a coin/pawn shop/...junk fest person do you...after all my back yard is full of gate valves, a sluicing gun. riffle plates from dredges and all the crap under the sun and I guess that makes it junk!
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:17:07 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

haha your own comment "rings/coins and any other types of jewelry have nothing in common with gold" is WRONG...if it is a real gold ring then the gold in it is
common with the gold in your nuggets..it takes your nuggets melted down to make the GOLD ring...as for coins if one is so lucky to find a Gold coin and i dont mean the 1 and 2 dollar coins..i mean a real gold coin then the gold in that coin again is common with the gold of your nuggets...so yes there are things in common in such things..the difference is yours is the raw material and the ones we find or want to find are the melted down product of what you have..

also you keep spliting us and putting us into two groups by saying "there's far more coin people out there than us gold 1's"...some of us are both or atleast would like to be..again i for one love it when i can go gold panning even if it is only at dannsey's pass or arrow river....and one day hope to be able to test my detector to try and find gold since it is a gold bug....but my current situation dosnt allow me to travel the way i use to be able to financially...
but i still concider my self a gold fossicker even if part time as well as a rock hound and a detectionist...

i have no problem posting any of my finds under the new catagory that gavin is going to creat so i dont post them on your gold pages..unless it is gold related of course like more gold from panning or if lucky a few nuggets.

and hopfully all the detector ppl will do the same....hopfully it will keep in your own words "you grumpy old men happy" ..lol..... but i dont see a need for us to start a hole nother forum when an added space here will do the trick.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:21:11 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Wow this has gained some momentum. Firstly, just to clear the air, I arent against coin/relic detecting but just think it needs it own space. As I said I do go out every now & then & I had as well put up some posts & pics on here on my finds of a few months ago from a few hours detecting on Whangamata beach. But like that link I put up of the Treasure Net forum, they have all the differert catogries for what ever subjct you are in to seperate from each other. Works bloody well & should satisfy every one.
I am also heavily in to geology(that seems to come with the territory of chasing gold) & learning how the lands were laid down & made up & the different rocks etc. Volcanics, faulting & folding, how the minersls came about, glaciation etc. I am also in to rock collecting. Living in the Coromandel you cant help but find them very interesting & attractive & I always come home with a few when I go out for a gold fossick. You dig a hole in a creek (Sush.....dont tell Enviroment Waikato I said that) & you never know what you are going to uncover. Today being no different. I went up a creek & found some colour & A nice little specimen piece & brought home some quartz pieces for further investigation. I am like a bloody magpie. I cant help myself. Last weekend I went for a sluice box up the Tairua River & brought home some beautiful opalised (red & blue) jasper. We have a jasper rock garden & bucket loads of jasper mostly from the Tairua river, amythest, quartz crystals (some with gold in them), obsidean, apache tears (obsidian) carnelian, chalcedony, petrified wood, agates, chert & heaps of buckets of gold/silver ore, calcite & quartz. specimens of lead zinc & copper, Kauri gum.....the list goes on.
Quite a few years ago I was in to rock tumbling. So there is scope for a whole heap of pages on all sorts of different subjects.

Creamer (Shane) Dont stop doing what you are doing with your posts. I know the buzz that you are going through with your finds & adventures & I enjoy your contibutions. I am sure Gavin will sort this out & get a page going for that side of detecting. It is all good fun & I for one are in to all of it.

Happy hunting.

JW :)

Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:21:22 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I agree rgmcbrid, A piece of gold jewellery has been carefully designed and crafted to an object of beauty instead of just a lump of metal. That's what why I like finding them - not simply because of the monetary value but I'm fascinated with the designs. The odd diamond or 2 helps as well :)

To this comment:

"i mean are you honestly trying to compare those man handled rings all scratched and man made to the above bag of gold that in all probability has never seen the sun let alone been touched by a hand untill i got it."

I would say YES I would compare them. I could go into any patch of bush and dig out any odd rock and say it has never been touched by the sun until I got it. So this is meaningless. Finding jewellery is a matter of retrieving a piece of artwork that somebody lost 20 - 80 years ago so it can be appreciated again. To me this means a lot more.

But I also appreciate the beauty of native gold. A nugget that has been cleaned or a chunk of quartz with gold veins running through it would be fantastic to find - like a crafted ring these are just as good. To me though gold dust or flake are just ground up metal, precious metal yes but still just yellow coffee grinds. What interests me with these forms is the activity of discovery and collecting of them in the bush. I like being in the bush, I like mountain streams, I like fossicking around for rocks etc. Combining these activities and coming out with with some gold would be great but not it's doable on an island in the middle of the Hauraki Gulf.

So Gingerbreadman and myself have different opinions on what constitutes the beauty of gold. So be it, but GBM- insulting somebodies finds (and thus them) because of a difference in this opinion is an attitude that should have been left in the school yard. That did "upset" me and suggesting the non-gold posts be moved out could have been done in a much more non-confrontational way.
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:30:27 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Ok I'm going to put down my gun, lie down in my trench and wait for this war to be over. I suggest others do the same, there is no need for this.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ok - it's now live - Other Treasures - hopefully this works for everyone.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 11:45:59 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hatter, I agree. Gavin will do something I am sure.

Happy hunting

4 Pages<1234>