New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages123>»
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 11:12:50 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ok, a lot of you are interested in treasures other than gold. Do you think some new sections are needed in these forums to separate these out from the pure gold topics?

Detecting seems a favourite...

Perhaps I should create a new section for detecting... add a "Metal Detecting" (with "Equipment", "Gold" and "Other Treasures" areas) section alongside the General and Gold Fossicking and Mining sections?

And perhaps a "Other Treasures" section might be desired? Greenstone etc. could be created also for things that fall outside the areas of gold and metal detecting?

Please make your voices heard - do you want this to be a purely gold focused site or do you want areas where people can discuss these other treasures they're als interested in?

I see these forums as community focused so I'll try and apply the wishes of the masses!

Cheers,
Gavin
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 12:28:06 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i for one like your new sections suggestion as that way the ppl that just want to look at gold and nothing else can go to the gold section while the dectionists can look through there sections...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 1:05:06 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Well if you wanted to make changes I would suggest leaving the main catagores 'Discussions' and 'Gold fossicing and mining' and their sub-categories just the way they are, and add a main catagory 'Rock, mineral and relic fossicing' with the following subcategories: Locations, Tips, Show and tell, and Equipment. I see no reason that everyone can't share the main category 'Discussions' and from the main page you would be able to scroll down to your area of interest. I think people are doing this anyway and it would just save them the trouble of having to go into a sub category to see if the fresh posts are actually about gold or if it is just another tale of 'beetle attacks detectorist.'
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 1:47:55 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i think that is what Gavin is sugesting rgmcbrid,only making it about metal detecting and what not...there are as far as i can see only a few of us on here that are also into the rocks and minerals...But gavin has also sugested a section for OTHER Tresures which would be for the rocks and minerals...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 2:07:37 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I suspect that most peple who visit the forum read all the new posts so from that point of view, it probably doesn't matter how many catagories there are, or whether new ones are introduced or not.

Frankb  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 3:36:09 PM(UTC)
Frankb

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Why add clutter to a board that is reasonably organised. I always cast my eye over all posts and they are fairly well laid out now. I can pick and choose what I wish to read. Whats a simple mouse click or two. Don't waste your time changing anything.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 4:03:08 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
As far as I know this is the only uniquely NZ forum on Gold fossicking and / or detecting and that's kinda special. There is a big one in Aussie and several in the States and other countries too.
So my thoughts are just try to appeal to a broad range of Kiwi fossicking and detecting activities and
all should be sweet provided the layout and usage of the site is kept simple. Some of the other sites do try and cram waaaay too much information on to one page making them difficult / boring to navigate.

off soapbox now.

overdog  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 6:56:40 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
There is no dedicated NZ coil swingers forum.Personally I think there is a crossover-detecting for gold is a part of fossicking and a part of general detecting.

I say go for it!
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 7:43:01 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Shane

Edited by user Wednesday, 31 August 2011 6:52:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
NiN  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 7:45:48 PM(UTC)
NiN

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
i agree with the crazy looking guy.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 1:03:09 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Haha.... i came here to learn about gold and love the site...don't fix the wheel if it aint broke Gav it's a damn good layout at the moment :)

I only read the subjects that interest me.

Gold
Treasure
gold
finds
swaps
gold
detectors
tools
gold
etc

:P
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 10:42:27 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Shane

Edited by user Wednesday, 31 August 2011 6:53:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 10:45:44 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
sounds good gav. is anyone here still actually looking for gold? not knocking the hobby detectorists but i want to talk gold.

i guess i have it good living where i do with goldfields all round.

i've been still heading out lately. not good if the airs as cold as the ground. ok til you stop for a break and freeze up.

with all the snowfalls the conditions have been challenging this winter. good average flows a lot of the time with the odd fresh of snowmelt.

makes it hard to get to bedrock.

i have noticed the freeze thaw has also started ejecting rocks and boulders from the sluiced cliffs and road cuttings. got to be wary. amazing seeing huge boulders that have been hanging out of banks for years come crashing down right in front of you!

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 3:08:23 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
HI guys
I reckon it should be just gold pic,s/storeys/info on the gold forum...over the last few months its been invaded more and more by non gold stuff most of which you could probably find in the back yard....but thats just my opinion....im a gold digger and am not interested in anything else but that....to me this is what it is all about

Edited by user Saturday, 27 August 2011 3:10:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 3:35:57 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
HI guys
I reckon it should be just gold pic,s/storeys/info on the gold forum...over the last few months its been invaded more and more by non gold stuff most of which you could probably find in the back yard....but thats just my opinion....im a gold digger and am not interested in anything else but that....to me this is what it is all about

I'm easy whether there is a separate detecting section or carry on as is. Gold can come in many forms, not only in its native form and a detector is a great way to find it. Coins, silver and other non-gold materials found with a detector should also be allowed since hunting for these is a great way to learn how to use a detector. Not many people would spend hard earned savings on a machine and head into bush straight away to hunt for gold without practising or learning the machine first. Hunting out coins etc is the easiest and quickest way of learning the machine.

I would love to find a nice nugget or two but that is impossible where I live so I make do with gold in a different form. The pic below (to counter Gingerbread's above) is 8 months work and if refined would be approximately 1.25oz of pure gold. Just because these "trinkets" haven't been found in a mountain stream doesn't make them any less gold.

Gold
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 4:38:21 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
i have a detector my self iv never used it outside the gold feilds....i wouldnt bother posting most of the stuff i find with it on here...if there,s lots of interest on this stuff (coins etc) why not just start some other forum after all if you dont look for gold why belong to a gold forum...!!!
rings etc are not gold in the true sence and the effort required to get them has nothing on the effort or adventure of finding alluvial gold in the mountians with mother nature and a hole host of other thing,s firmly against you...i mean are you honestly trying to compare those man handled rings all scratched and man made to the above bag of gold that in all probability has never seen the sun let alone been touched by a hand untill i got it....compareing the 2 is like mother nature verses going to the pawn shop....look on the active posts...how many are actually about gold....pretty much nun at the moment so is this a gold fossicking forum or something else!.
i no im raveing on and there,s far more coin and ring people around than the like,s of me but in my opinion coin,s and rings etc have no place on a gold forum.
gbm:)
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 4:42:07 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Its not a war guys no need to start firing shots.... Slap another section for non gold treasure on the main page where the topics are gavin. That would be good, then people can avoid that part of the site if they would like to. sounds straightforward to me.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 5:59:47 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin i think i will side with hatter and the rest that think a new section could be added
while i still read all about detecting (and i do have one) i really enjoy the gold stories.
its like ive said before "sitting round a camp fire and telling lies" dosent matter what the stories are a good gold story is still a good story.
seeing photos of dredges up trees thats a buzz

keep up the good work on the site even if you did leave as is its still a great site

cheers
Eagle  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 6:02:21 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
i have a detector my self iv never used it outside the gold feilds....i wouldnt bother posting most of the stuff i find with it on here...if there,s lots of interest on this stuff (coins etc) why not just start some other forum after all if you dont look for gold why belong to a gold forum...!!!
rings etc are not gold in the true sence and the effort required to get them has nothing on the effort or adventure of finding alluvial gold in the mountians with mother nature and a hole host of other thing,s firmly against you...i mean are you honestly trying to compare those man handled rings all scratched and man made to the above bag of gold that in all probability has never seen the sun let alone been touched by a hand untill i got it....compareing the 2 is like mother nature verses going to the pawn shop....look on the active posts...how many are actually about gold....pretty much nun at the moment so is this a gold fossicking forum or something else!.
i no im raveing on and there,s far more coin and ring people around than the like,s of me but in my opinion coin,s and rings etc have no place on a gold forum.
gbm:)

Gidday GBM

I couldn't have said it better myself.This is my first post for ages I have been starting to think the forum has turned into a coin & junk talk fest.
Its a "Gold" forum......
As GBM said get into the hills & find some real stuff!!!

Thats a healthy looking photo there GBM well done mate.

By the way hows the minelab been running for you.

Go hard
Eagle
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 6:14:31 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Shane

Edited by user Wednesday, 31 August 2011 6:53:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
4 Pages123>»