New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 14 September 2014 2:28:32 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hey guys - My trusty GPP starting acting up (falsing) a couple of weeks ago and right after I sold off my spare GPP -
Talk about bad timing :(

Anyways, after hearing from many overseas hunters, that this falsing issue seems to be ongoing & without signs of any improvement in the product for over 6 years - Although Garrett's service & support is renowned as legendary, this does not really help us here in NZ when we have to send the item back to Garrett USA to be replaced/repaired

Therefore after some consideration I purchased a Deteknix X-Pointer to see if it lived up to it claims on youtube -

Well it arrived on Friday & as yet I haven't had a chance to hunt with it however my initial impression on this piece of kit is nothing but positive -

Some of the features -

Audio / Vibrate Alert
Proportional Response
4 Adjustable Sensitivity Levels
Water Resistant Housing
Battery Saver Alarm
LED Flashlight
includes - Belt Holster, Lanyard & 4 Protective Tips

Because I no longer have a suitable GPP to compare this against I went to a mates house who has a GPP which is in like new condition - After brief testing the X-Pointer picked up (airtests) a half penny only slightly more than the GPP, but when it come to a silver threepence & a 0.4gm nugget the X-Pointer stood out considerably better than the GPP -

I will keep those of you interested up to date in how it performs in the field, but with my initial findings on this X-Pointer the only thing I can confirm that has not been proven with the X-Pointer is its durability, however there is nothing at all that indicates that it will have issues with longevity -

If you are considering a pin pointer or looking for a upgrade then this is a great alternative to whats already available -

Hope this helps

Good luck & Happy Hunting

Edited by user Sunday, 14 September 2014 9:43:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 September 2014 10:57:05 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Ok ~Puts Hand Up~ it's me.

If anyone is interested in one PM me. I'm under agreement to not sell them below a certain price... But I will do a deal for you guys.

There is a catch... You have to promise to post some pics of your cool finds using the Xpointer, I'd like to know my gear is going to good homes! *8^)

Just a little side-line to fund some new toys and try and point new detectorists in the right direction. Pretty sure there are very few TM dealers that give a rats rear end about our hobby or even know the first thing about it.

Give it heck ST - Will be interesting to read your field test when you're ready.

Big advantages over the GPP is it doesn't false, it has momentary switches not those nasty mini locking switches, more depth, more features and it's cheaper.

Hmmm maybe I should change my Avatar.

coinnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 September 2014 11:02:44 PM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
You've sold me, when my GPP dies ( which I hope isn't anytime soon! ) I'm gettin me a X-Pointer yeehaa
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 September 2014 8:48:51 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Cheers Coinnut.

I've got 2 GPPs and they will probably last forever - probably because they don't get used any more.

Admittedly after the factory switches were replaced I haven't had any more problems with that very common problem. However
I have noticed over time that it takes less and less sideways pressure to make the GPP false, that bugs me.

Can't complain for the amount of service they have given me but I can honestly say I think the Xpointers are better and if there is a problem warranty is handled by me here so it's not going to cost a fortune in freight or be away for months for repair.

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 25 September 2014 3:47:04 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hi Guys - Well after several hunts using the X-Pointer I can honestly say that these Pointers rock - My Garrett Pro Pointer, even after babying it for close to 2yrs, it like so many decided to false out and make the fun hobby of metal detecting turn into 'crazy man beats shit out of vibrator in the park' -

As you can well imagine - Not a good look

The X-Pointer was treated a lot rougher than I ever treated my GPP and at no time did it false - It didn't take long to master the modes for sensitivity & sound/vibrate modes etc - Its also around 20% lighter than the GPP which probably isn't all that much however I thought I would mention it as a few times I grabbed it from home it felt the weight was comparable to the GPP with no battery in it -

I really do like using this X-Pointer and its certainly IMO a step up from the Garrett Pro Pointer with its added features - Not only that but the X-Pointer manufacturers have not just sat back on this one product - Expect a new underwater pointer to be released next year, so with Deteknix you are dealing with a progressive company who are customer focused -

Don't take my word for it as everyone here knows, Guardian is a clever guy & a valued forum member - He is also the supplier of the X-Pointers so you know right from the get go your going to be looked after - Any warranty issues if they occur are also handled by Guardian -

All in all I wont be going back to the GPP if the X-Pointers durability lasts - I also look forward to the underwater one next year -

Thanks again Gregg for allowing me to test out the Deteknix X-Pointer and also for the special price you gave me -

Sorry for sounding ungratefully cheeky but do you think you could do these Paydirt members a SP too? lol

Foiled again  
Posted : Thursday, 25 September 2014 5:12:18 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Bloody awesome work fullas!
Great to hear first hand experiences-All us GPP users know the frustrations of our wildly beepy vibrators so I know what I'll be replacing it with if the durability is as great as the rest of it sounds!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 25 September 2014 9:35:18 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Always happy to do a deal and a few members are now already sporting a brand new Xpointer.
PM me for a deal it's a good one!

Edited by user Friday, 26 September 2014 7:36:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian attached the following image(s):
XP_Greysml.jpg
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 7:48:00 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
This one's dirty now - Can I claim a clean one under the warranty?

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
grubby.jpg
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 9:44:39 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

~gulp~ ummmm ahhhh welll....

I think it looks better like that, you know like a comfortable pair of old jeans. *8^)

Good to see you're putting it through it's paces!

And thanks for putting some pics up of your finds and the Xpointer - Awesome.
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...y-Cabinet.aspx#post36095

When it comes to cleaning the Xpointer - I just wipe mine over with a baby wipe (that's my one in my post above after a hammering at the park & the beach). There is also a clever little valve system under the speaker grill to keep out debris and minimize sound loss. I still do the old thumb over the grill when rinsing it to be on the safe side.

Edited by user Sunday, 28 September 2014 12:56:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 10:04:02 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Not too good with the camera work guys but here's what my X-Pointer has helped recover in my last two hunts -

sycotoad attached the following image(s):
XP1 (Copy).JPG
XP2 (Copy).JPG
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 16 October 2014 11:18:46 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hi Guys -

I thought I would post this utube vid on comparing the TRX - GPP & the X-Pointer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tpCnMKhEiM

Its one of the better testing/reviews I have seen on the X-Pointer & after using one for around a month now, all I can say is that I have not experienced any issues as yet -

Will keep you all informed if things change

Cheers
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 20 October 2014 5:03:59 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 20 October 2014 8:18:14 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

I just love the way it's not bothered by salt water, can jam it in a sandy salty soupy mix with no hassles.
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 24 October 2014 8:22:12 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

New Shipment in and well I have to say it's great dealing with a company that actually listens to your input.

I suggested 2 very minor improvements to the Xpointers. Not only did they thank me for taking time to give them feedback but I opened the new shipment today to find both improvements had been implemented... Brilliant!

Not like the big boys who promise the world and do nothing!
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 12:42:33 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Latest 'kill' with the new PP
IMG_1551.JPG
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 6 November 2014 9:21:42 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hey nice finds MW ;)

Almost two months of me leaning on this X-Pointer and it still has not failed to impress me -

Hasn't falsed once & when it does make a noise there is something definitely there - Its certainly installed confidence back into using a pin pointer all over again -

Sorry I cannot put up any more pictures just now, as my camera was strategically dropped behind car wheel and dealt to ever so depressingly -

Honestly guys the Deteknix X-Pointer is a definite godsend compared to what we were accustomed to -

Also the guy that sells them is a local who WILL bend over backwards to help YOU
You cannot get better service than that -

Cheers
& Happy Hunting
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 12:47:04 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Pick of the bunch since I've had this beastie.
I'm not sure what alien engineered plastic they use, but my pointer has done 4 months (est 100-200Hrs swinging) of scraping and digging in gravelly basalt soils, rockpools and mangroves...

P1152583.JPG
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 3:12:23 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

I was going to put this in your Garrett Waterproof Pin Pointer thread MW but thought it might be better suited here.

My Garretts have retired. My Minelab has a mind of it's own, often turns on but doesn't actually detect anything so you have to test it each time you turn it on, sometimes it even falses when being changed from horizontal to vertical - So that's a good one to lend to the wife so I can go get the goodies *8^) Both brands have done very well for me and I don't want to treed on any toes but....

There are a heap of different manufacturers of Pin-Pointers/Detectors now so hopefully it will push the big boys into some great new creations, gone are the days of "Aahhwell it's kinda ok - but it will do!"

It was because of this attitude that got me looking at alternatives like Deteknix, I have to say it makes me very proud to know so many are using gear supplied by me.

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 11:34:29 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

. ooops

Edited by user Friday, 9 January 2015 11:38:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 11:36:56 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Well Guardian I can honestly say that I hammered the crap out of my X-Pointer and that I will not have a need to look for another pin-pointer - I was skeptical at first when comparing it to the GPP as it was lighter and the buttons felt so much different to Garrett's -
Four plus months on also and I really do love this pin-pointer and I look forward to their waterproof one when it comes out later this year -

IMHO its a fabtastic product - thanks Guardian
2 Pages12>