New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

6 Pages123>»
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 26 January 2012 7:59:57 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
[bTHE FAR SIDE.[/b]
Diary of a madman.

NZ GOLD fossicking Forums, love everything about it. Been on here for six months now and im glad i joined. Been to places i wouldnt normally frequent and met a few like minded people. We all have our own individual characteristics portrayed mainly with our own page/pages. I have become very pc with my posts and thats the standard i like to keep, clean,tidy and informative.. There are things we want to say but dont in fear of jepardising the health of our posts. The odd rant is expressed briefly but it doesnt go further than that.
Me, well my biggy is posting after im well into my 5th or 6th beer. Hence the need to edit my posts the next day cause ive said something stupid or put up a pik of my cat.. hmmm. So ive kicked this post over so's i can say the things i need to say from time to time. Cant remember exactly what i was goin to say so ill just stick with the beer thing for now.
GOLD is good, so is silver and so are all the folks on this site including the ones that think im a nutter. Nice finds to you all.

Shane

Edited by user Tuesday, 22 May 2012 8:19:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 26 January 2012 8:47:20 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Shane did you think of this after a few beers?
Not that it is a bad idea at all - no doubt it will bring some amusement.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 26 January 2012 9:47:24 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
THE FAR SIDE
NZ GOLD fossicking Forums, love everything about it. Been on here for six months now and im glad i joined. Been to places i wouldnt normally frequent and met a few like minded people. We all have our own individual characteristics portrayed mainly with our own page/pages. I have become very pc with my posts and thats the standard i like to keep, clean,tidy and informative.. There are things we want to say but dont in fear of jepardising the health of our posts. The odd rant is expressed briefly but it doesnt go further than that.
Me, well my biggy is posting after im well into my 5th or 6th beer. Hence the need to edit my posts the next day cause ive said something stupid or put up a pik of my cat.. hmmm. So ive kicked this post over so's i can say the things i need to say from time to time. Cant remember exactly what i was goin to say so ill just stick with the beer thing for now.
GOLD is good, so is silver and so are all the folks on this site including the ones that think im a nutter. Nice finds to you all.

Shane

Well Shane you can be a nut as much as you like as long as you dont have a wife, girlfriend, concubine or lover who comes complete with nut crackers! Happy hunting Shane and may many treasures come your way.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Friday, 27 January 2012 12:18:57 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
THE FAR SIDE

Shane

I'll drink to that bro!

good on ya :)

Dan
crisyboy  
Posted : Friday, 27 January 2012 8:51:43 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
the far side? should be
the DARK SIDE of the
FAR NORTH,
if you think reading his
posts afer 5-6 beers is
far side you should
try having 5-6 with
him and get it first hand.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 27 January 2012 3:48:17 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
Shane did you think of this after a few beers?
Not that it is a bad idea at all - no doubt it will bring some amusement.

No, not at all. Been plannin on this page for a while, just needed the time to sort it out. Now i got somewhere to blab on instead of my finds page.
Speaking of time, everyones finding some real cool stuff of late and i havnt made the time to read and respond to all the posts. So if anyone thinks that im ignoring them im not. Got a couple of hours now so ill have a good read.
This is a forum and its based on all of our feedback. I think that maybe alot is not said or disussed because some of us choose to have our own page and dont want to load it with unnecessary verbal junk..
Go for GOLD.

The Dark Side.. oops i mean far side.

Edited by user Sunday, 29 January 2012 11:17:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 28 January 2012 9:43:46 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Spoke to a guy yesterday who seen a ''meteorite'' crash thru the trees many a year ago. He now wants to go searching for it and wants me to get him a detector to help find it.. I wanna go look too and i hope he takes me as its all a bit secretive now that he knows its worth money.
Just had a chat with Rgmsbrid for some help with a detector, cheers man. He recomended a F75 with a 15 inch coil.
This person has actually seen two meteorites land in his lifetime.

Edited by user Sunday, 29 January 2012 10:12:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 29 January 2012 10:14:49 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

I heard of a place where the boats used to land way back in the day. Hopefully going there today. Hot on the trail for a half crown and GOLD.

Note later that day..
And yes, found two half crowns and an 1834 silver sixpence, yeha. No GOLD, maybe next time.

Edited by user Sunday, 29 January 2012 11:16:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 January 2012 8:14:25 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

It wont be long before someone cracks a pre 1800 coin (or treasure), or a GOLD soveriegn. Hot on the trail. Have a few night missions planned for just the occasion. See how this week goes. If i can hit an 1834 silver then there must be more to find. Goin for GOLD.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 9:50:57 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Got given some black sand to pan the other day and i could see the bits of GOLD dust, hard to extract, but i found a miniature nugget which appeared to have a bit of rock still attached. Real GOLD, well a smidgeon anyhows.

Slightly left of centre. Dont blink or youll miss it.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, 3 February 2012 9:53:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 11:40:30 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Shane - A bit late with the gold sovereign when you say that one day someone will find one - I have never found a gold coin in my life with a metal detector but I know of several instances of gold sovereigns being found - in two cases the people who found them actually found two of them!

I am sure that up your way there will be a lot of really ace stuff around old whaling stations and early pub sites - I dont know how easy it would be to pillage and plunder along the foreshore at Russell but I bet theres some stuff around there - everything ranging from cannon balls to gold coins and even historic axe heads!
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 2:29:58 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Apparantly a few sovereigns were found by a detectorist on the banks of the Avon in Hagley Park. If theres any left, I'm sure Chris (poohbear) will dig them up soon. :)
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 4:35:30 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Apparantly a few sovereigns were found by a detectorist on the banks of the Avon in Hagley Park. If theres any left, I'm sure Chris (poohbear) will dig them up soon. :)

Although not by detectorists around 30 sovereigns and half sovereigns were found by the old tip on the beach at Timaru where the Caledonian Ground is - that was in the 1970s when the sand all got scoured out by unusual ocean currents.

Edited by user Friday, 2 March 2012 9:46:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 5:07:22 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Who is this lucky "thole tip" Lammerlaw?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 5:18:09 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post

Oh bugger I meant to say 'the old tip' - OK so I wrote it in hieroglyphics! I did it to make people guess and you go and spoilt it - party pooper! What me make a mistake?

haha I have corrected it so now theres no proof I made a mistake any more!...My fingers type faster than my gray cells process it all...they get side tracked...Thanks for pointing it out though.

Edited by user Friday, 2 March 2012 9:48:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 7:12:38 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post

Oh bugger I meant to say 'the old tip' - OK so I wrote it in hieroglyphics! I did it to make people guess and you go and spoilt it - party pooper! What me make a mistake?

Tee Hee.
Pardon granted.
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 7:58:37 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
The sovereigns are out there, my find last year is a 1958 coin so fairly modern but the older ones will be laying around as well. For the 19th century coins I think the secret will be looking in the right places which isn't where the normal copper and silver coins are found.

The sovereign represented BIG money in those days when compared to incomes. More then our modern $100 bill is worth nowadays. Because of this I reckon people would rarely dig out their sovereigns to go the park, pub or local grocers, but they would dig them out to buy a major asset. For example reading up on the history of "The Rock" where I live, there are references to property being brought with monthly payments in sovereigns.

The higher the "class" of the person the more likely they would carry sovereigns to flaunt. Thus race tracks? Or areas / places where the wealthy gathered? Areas around high class hotels (as opposed to pubs) etc. When not carried around they would have been hidden and saved, so hunting out caches would also be a good idea.

Good luck!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 8:37:52 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
The sovereigns are out there, my find last year is a 1958 coin so fairly modern but the older ones will be laying around as well. For the 19th century coins I think the secret will be looking in the right places which isn't where the normal copper and silver coins are found.

The sovereign represented BIG money in those days when compared to incomes. More then our modern $100 bill is worth nowadays. Because of this I reckon people would rarely dig out their sovereigns to go the park, pub or local grocers, but they would dig them out to buy a major asset. For example reading up on the history of "The Rock" where I live, there are references to property being brought with monthly payments in sovereigns.

The higher the "class" of the person the more likely they would carry sovereigns to flaunt. Thus race tracks? Or areas / places where the wealthy gathered? Areas around high class hotels (as opposed to pubs) etc. When not carried around they would have been hidden and saved, so hunting out caches would also be a good idea.

Good luck!

Your theory is excellent but not altogether the truth - I understand that where the 30 sovereigns and half sovereigns were found at Timaru was also where the night cart was emptied so I assume that when people in hotels and bars went and dropped their strides in the long drop chocolate bombs werent the only thing that dropped into the tin and ended up in the night cart!

Two sovereigns were found outside an old Goldfields hotel in Central Otago, two were found near a man made lake. All with metal detectors.

The most logical of places are indeed race tracks but the fact also exists that on some of the Goldfields money flowed freely when gold was struck and coins were lost...and think about the fact that in many areas there were simply no banks and therefore the more valuable coins were often buried in the yard and in one case I know of a person finding some gold coins in the rafter of a house.

There is also a hoard known to me of ten thousand pound in gold coin hidden here in New Zealand - I kid you not - and it is not in some rich neighbourhood either. There are alsoo not on ebut three known hoards of a hundred pound in Gold Sovereigns known to exist 'somewhere in the South Island'

goldnugget  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 9:09:04 PM(UTC)
goldnugget

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi Shilo,
In general I would agree with your ideas, however!...I am one of the two that Lammerlaw mentioned as having found two sovereigns. The circumstances were as follows - a few months ago the wind and waves had been washing the local beach away, lowering the sand level and also washing the sand dunes gradually away as well. I had been working the beach at the base of the dune to about 10 metres out, backwards and forwards, overlapping swings to be thorough. At the base of the dune, got a signal so shovelled out a decent amount and out of the corner of my eye I saw a glint. As soon as I looked properly,I just knew what it was. Nothing gleams like that! I was absolutely stoked but also dumbfounded - who loses a sovereign at the beach? Who would take one to the beach?

It was in exceptionally good condition (not that I'm a numismatist!) so surmised it may have sat unmoving in the dry sand of the dunes until it started sliding down to the beach, therefore I carefully gave the immediate uphill area a scan, but to know avail. After a while I gave up but before leaving I measured the spot from a known point so I could return the following day.

The next evening I went down again returning to the same spot hoping against hope there might be another! (I never figured I'd ever find a sovereign, let alone at the beach, but hey, it had happened once! However having scanned the area and surrounds and not getting much I went back to the exact spot and bugga me days if I did not detect the second sovereign. And I literally did not detect it! I'd happened to cast my eye on a clump of marram grass (or whatever it is) and there caught up in a few strands was the second sovereign! Now, I'd been past that clump three or four times at least and not seen it. It also was in superb condition. I was absolutely blown away! To find one was amazing, two was just bloody unbelievable! I started thinking there might be a cache of more, but I at least haven't found any more, and boy did I search! (1908 and 1912 by the way.)

For what it's worth, my pet theory is that in the old days a wealthy gentleman of leisure has taken a local wench up into the dunes and in the process of their tete-a-tete has lost the coins until they washed down to the current beach level. Well, that's my theory and I like it! lol.

If I could get my untechonogical head around photos, I'd post a pic, but anyway just imagine two virtually perfect sovereigns and that's what they look like.

I sincerely hope you blokes can find at least one in your searches, as it's a fantastic buzz!

Cheers,
Rick.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 3 February 2012 9:30:29 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i also heard from an older gentalman in hagley one day that he found six sovereigns in hagley park a long long time ago so i figure there could be more there...it is going to take me a long long time but i am going to grid search the whole thing if i can...including on the sports fields where i have found silver.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
6 Pages123>»