New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

6 Pages«<23456>
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 11:06:35 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
OK Lammerlaw I have quickly shut the shop and I am now heading south on the Southern Motorway and should make tonight's ferry. Do you have a map of where to look?

Yeah I wish.
:-)

In a case like that I will tell you approximately where in exchange for a signed agreement that you go fifty fifty should you find it or just buy what information I have form me for a handsome sum - you stand to make a fortune IF you find it and the magic word is IF. I do know approximately where and yes I really should go looking myself.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 12:54:15 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
These are grand tales Graham, If anyone actually did have the good fortune of locating one of these treasure troves they would be rather well off even with a 50/50 split! When you say you know approximately where to look, how small an area can you narrow it down to?
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 1:16:41 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
To those who wish to seek what I would consider is most likely New Zealands largest fortune I shall relate the following - My great great grandfather was described in a history book as 'Cute, sharp and sly in his dealings' - when he died his records showed he had £10,000 (Ten thousands pounds) and it was all in gold coin - If these were sovereigns then there are TEN THOUSAND of them but I daresay some will be half sovereigns, Guineas and other and all predate 1862...Yes indeed there ARE gold coins out there to find - also I know that there is possible a hundred pound in gold coin at Grays Corner near Waimate, One hundred pound in gold coins near Kurow and one hundred pound in gold coins at Tabletop Station in the Hakataramea I understand - these stories were told to me by elderly people, all long gone back when I was a lot younger than I am now.

Do you reckon it's the same one-hundred-pound-in-gold-coin story just re-cycled? Maybe one job lot hidden somewhere, but Chinese whispers at play?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 2:15:30 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
To those who wish to seek what I would consider is most likely New Zealands largest fortune I shall relate the following - My great great grandfather was described in a history book as 'Cute, sharp and sly in his dealings' - when he died his records showed he had £10,000 (Ten thousands pounds) and it was all in gold coin - If these were sovereigns then there are TEN THOUSAND of them but I daresay some will be half sovereigns, Guineas and other and all predate 1862...Yes indeed there ARE gold coins out there to find - also I know that there is possible a hundred pound in gold coin at Grays Corner near Waimate, One hundred pound in gold coins near Kurow and one hundred pound in gold coins at Tabletop Station in the Hakataramea I understand - these stories were told to me by elderly people, all long gone back when I was a lot younger than I am now.

Do you reckon it's the same one-hundred-pound-in-gold-coin story just re-cycled? Maybe one job lot hidden somewhere, but Chinese whispers at play?

No I dont think so Gavin - I think that the fact is that all three are within a certain locality and all three are the exact same amount is mere coincidence - I hear what you say about Chinese whispers and your suggestion has credence but if it was Chinese whispers I might have thought the amount involved might have got greater as the story circulated...That does not mean to say that you are not correct...after all nothing is proven until found.

The Kurow one was supposed to be inland more and from memory may have been close to a large rock or hillock near the main road though I am not sure of these facts. I do know that there were robberies in the Waitaki Valley though but to the best of my knowledge it is only the Kurow money that might be the result of robbery and the other two were hidden. Back in those days banks were many miles away and the best place to hide something was to bury it.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 2:22:37 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Oh the glory to find one of these loots. Wouldnt that make your day...
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 2 March 2012 7:05:57 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Like to see some sov's. Check out this cool link it seemed ok. http://www.google.co.nz/search?...amp;biw=1024&bih=605

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 1:42:33 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

I see you know who is back and up to his old tricks... His posts were neally makin sence for a while.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 5:09:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
I see you know who is back and up to his old tricks... His posts were neally makin sence for a while.

Hey Shane you be nice to him - every time I read his profile name my memory is jogged back to when I was a nauseating little monster, devious and dangerous - Comptons book 'William The Gangster' was about a kid who was one of the twelve Apostles in comparison with me!

In any case I always delighted in sitting upstairs in the picture theatre and when the film was at its darkest and it was harder to see who did it I used to flick JAFAs from the balcony seat!

Matt - I have no clues to the three £100 spots, only the general locality and I am sure that locals can give a better indication of the approximate location. IMy Great great grandfathers money is the best bet as I do know better where it is likely to be and intend having a visit there myself one day.

Edited by user Saturday, 3 March 2012 7:26:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 8 March 2012 5:54:44 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Our computer has something tragically wrong with it. It is at a workshop now undergoing surgery. Hope to rectify soon... All good tho, it happens. GOLD is good. (Silver is sexy).
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 10 March 2012 3:57:20 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

I heard around me today... of a coin collection mysteriously gone missing. Amongst them were early 1800 silver coins, half sovs, sovs and GOLD comemoritives. Shame, would of got to see them if they were still there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
crisyboy  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 6:31:54 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
and the peridot again bro,
File Attachment(s):
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 6:40:19 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

A result of cosmic activity. Thought you only found peridot in the south island. Im in on the next hunt for that. Wait till we find something cutabable.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
crisyboy  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 6:43:35 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

yeah i dont think so peridots are where u find them,
also finding garnets, maybe ruby,green garnets,
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 6:52:00 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Alot more round these parts than one might think. Just a matter of putting in the effort to find these treasures. Sure helps if you know persons in the know. I wonder what will turn up next...
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 7:16:11 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Alot more round these parts than one might think. Just a matter of putting in the effort to find these treasures. Sure helps if you know persons in the know. I wonder what will turn up next...

Any chance of some better pictures Shane.

Wikipedia provides this info. for what it's worth.

Geologically
Olivine, of which peridot is a type, is a common mineral in mafic and ultramafic rocks, and it is often found in lavas and in peridotite xenoliths of the mantle, which lavas carry to the surface; but gem quality peridot only occurs in a fraction of these settings. Peridot can be also found in meteorites.
Abundance
Olivine in general is a very abundant mineral, but gem quality peridot is rather rare. This mineral is precious.
Locations of occurrence
Peridot olivine is mined in North Carolina, Arizona on the San Carlos Reservation, Hawaii, Nevada, and New Mexico at Kilbourne Hole, in the US; and in Australia, Brazil, China, Kenya, Mexico, Myanmar (Burma), Norway, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.
Possibility of origin in Egypt
In much antique jewelry, peridot could have come from Egypt: in the late 18th century/early 19th century, peridot was taken from Egyptian ecclesiastical and other ornaments and reused in jewelry. Furthermore a location in Egypt was (re-) discovered but its location remains generally unknown.[2]
In meteorites
Peridot crystals have been collected from some Pallasite meteorites. A famous Pallasite was offered for auction in April 2008 with a requested price of close to $3 million at Bonhams, but remained unsold.
crisyboy  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 March 2012 12:02:28 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

hows this
File Attachment(s):
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 March 2012 6:21:51 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: crisyboy Go to Quoted Post
hows this

Thanks.
Interesting block of stuff.
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 March 2012 8:05:11 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

So i would guess that peridot is found throughout nz. North and south.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
crisyboy  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 March 2012 4:43:02 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

as far as i know theres only one spot to find
peridot,maybe you can find tourmaline,olivine
but peridots only come from volcanos or outerspace.
went out again found another 2 pieces,plus a far bit of
sand that is magnetic with a earth magnet but not a normal magnet,
and has got quite a bit of pieces of gems,managed to extract about
16 gems so far but to small to get cut will try to get bigger ones
when i stock up abit more,peridot from outer space are coated with
iron magnesium/nickel etc,thats why the host rock is magnetic and earth
gems arnt,my mate is selling his rocks on trade me and is getting very good
money,so i will be putting heaps of effort to get as much as possible before
someone cottons on,will be travelling south on monday for a massive
exploration seems this rock is in a very small area not finding any away from
immediate spot,so will start griding the whole block,so these are pallasite
metrorite pieces and mabye one iron specimen which is getting sliced.
would be keen on any feedback and also glad to take people from forum
for a hunt?
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 19 March 2012 10:29:49 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

We done a penciling of that coin you brought up Chrisyboy. Not sure wot it is. Pat had a go and this is wot he came up with...

UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
6 Pages«<23456>