New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages123>»
goldhanded  
Posted : Thursday, 10 July 2014 9:28:50 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi All
Im just enquiring for a friend that has recently purchased a T2+ teknetics detector,the previous owner stated that it was brought from kellycodetectors in the states,on arrival everything looks legitimet about the detector and the packaging,also the extras,books,pouch etc,but my friend has just got hold of me to say he is having a few doubts about it,he has previously owned a T2 and he says this one seems to be a little different,the speaker is not as loud and the readings are different,the shaft seemed to be a little flimsy when I looked at it,but it didnt look like a cheap copy,if it is a copy its made well.So as Iv seen that there has been a few copies of minelabs etc selling on trade me,I thought Id ask if anybody had any info on teknetics and also any advice for my friend would be great as hes panicing a little,Cheers
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 12:17:52 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Yip it's a copy. I had one and it really was pretty good, about 80% of the original so it's a good starter machine but if he had a T2 he would be feeling a bit ripped off.

The T2+ most likely came from Alibaba. It doesn't have the boost mode (from memory) that the T2se has... on the one I had the rotary dial next to the menu button was backwards so you turned it left to increase and right to decrease settings. Shaft cams are a bit loose.
If you knew you were buying a copy it's not bad for the money but if you thought it was a real Teknetics I'd have my nose a bit out of joint

Shame they are branded as Teknetics as really if they were sold as something un-related for around the $500 they are far better than most of the other nasties available on TM.

Hope you guys can see what I'm saying, pretty good device shame about how they go about selling them and I don't agree with selling them as something they just simply are not.

Edited by user Friday, 11 July 2014 12:23:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldhanded  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 12:28:43 AM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Cheers Guardian,
yes he said shafts were loose,it was eratic compared to his other one,not happy and really dissapointed,payed for it as though it was a real Teknetics,no bargain.The fact that the seller has stated that he brought it from kellycodectors and after he was asked about it being counterfeited etc(as I asked personally) makes me think that there is some sort of criminal element going on here,that pure fraud!I wonder if and how trade-me can help or if not how my friend will get his money back,Il be telling him he needs to ask to be refunded,if not then take it further,I know he has contacted kellycodectors and also teknetics,he is choking!Anyhow,if anybody else has any advice,please give it,cheers
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 12:51:15 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Simply put Teknetics don't make a T2+

Kellyco wouldn't risk there dealership by selling copies.
I have heard that Teknetics will ask for you to send the device to them to evaluate and then destroy it. Can't blame them. lesser machines giving them a bad name.

You can't sell a copy on TradeMe even if you make people aware that it is a fake... that's in the TM Bible.
From previous posts it does seem they require a large amount of of prompting to actually get them to act though.

It does highlight the importance of buying from a dealer. I would never buy even a coil off TradeMe / EBAY unless it was from a trusted seller as the coils look legit but are also sub standard.

Keep us posted and best of luck!
goldhanded  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 1:01:03 AM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Yes I have heard they will ask for the machine as well,it was advertised as a T2 so the dirty bastard knew what he was doing.Makes me wonder about buying new from TM actually,at least if you buy something thats been well used then you pretty much will know that its a machine that works,if that makes sense.Looks like the guy has blantly mislead in the advert anyway so I think my mate should be ok(heres hoping)will do an update as I find out more.I feel his pain as hes basically got rid of his older one to make way for this one and its substanded,its not cool anyhow,in the meantime guys and girls,be very careful about what your buying,we are talking about losing a good chunk of money,its not good for the hobby!Maybe the dealers should be doing more to protect their intrests,just saying.Cheers
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 8:27:49 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
That is a real bummer for your mate. I was watching that auction myself as I have heard good things about those detectors & the price seemed pretty good. Maybe too good as it has turned out. As the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true......it usualy is. There are some real scum bags out there who themselves have fallen victim to a copied detector & then pass it on to some other unweary victim, & so are no better than the person they bought it off. Then of course there are those who see a dollar to be made by buying a copied detector for way less than a genuine one & flick it on for more than what they paid but cheaper than the genuine one.
Not much help to your mate & I too feel for him.
I get all my detecting gear from ebay through a trusted dealer or from an Australian gold detecting forum I belong to & have built up a "trust" with many of its members over the years.
Why did your mate sell his first one & then buy another of what he thought was the same make & model if he was happy with the first one?

Good luck out there

JW :)
goldhanded  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 12:35:05 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Hi JW

Yes I thought it was a bit dodgy,but as the advert was worded I thought perhaps it was genuine and so put my mate onto it as he wanted to sell/give his old one to his Dad and get a new one,so feeling a little responsable.He has just rung me and is sorting it out at the moment,I will post the results when all said and done.The T2 that he had was really impressive,I would definatly own one myself,really cool machine.Im hoping the seller gets his just desserts,the good thing is that he blatantly wrote the advert to decieve so he deserves all he gets,had he said it was a T2+ and that he had purchased it elsewhere then he may of got away with it,but I think hes got himself into a bit of a pickle here as my friend is extremly vigalent so stay tuned for the final result!Appreciate the feedback,I have been passing it on to him and I can assure you he has found it comforting to some degree to know that people are being informed about it.He said to me once its sorted he would like to see the thing destroyed so that this dosnt happen to anyone else.Anyhow cheers JW the weather has fined up here in the Bay of Plenty,so I might head out for a swing this arvo.
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 1:05:34 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

It'd be nice to see some hi res piccies of it uploaded here so we can pick it apart. Might help people ID these in the future.

goldhanded  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 5:40:44 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

I was there when it arrived and to be honest it looked awsum,the only thing that rang a bell for me was the sloppy shaft,anyhow later that day he told me about all the dodgy sound and how it was nothing like the other t2 as far as structural strenght went,the only real difference we could pick outright,was the colour of the box was not as bright as the origonal t2 box(as he still had this)and that it had t2+ on the cuff,also it had a red button,Im sure hes taken some pics and Il try and get those for everyone,we did find this video that I will put the link up for,this is exactly what he got and you will also feel the pain as you watch(as I did),Would be pretty hard to pick it as a counterfeit from viewing in photos,other than the box,the T2+ on cuff and the red button on the unit(which isnt red on the origonal)But Il get him to go over it and see what he can come up with to help us out,Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0ERzwYssU
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 6:27:47 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Wow. That shaft flex is a killer. Like they've just used HDPE irrigation pipe for the shaft!

Yikes.

goldhanded  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 6:41:12 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Yep,its a shocker,I just dont get why they would go to such an effort to make it(its actually very well made in some parts)and then use some crap plastic for the shaft,surely the cost saving isnt that huge and it just makes the thing totaly unusable,which sucks for somebody that gets stuck with the nasty thing as there only unit,

Im pretty sure he tryed to break it over his knee,but it wouldnt snap ;)
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 11 July 2014 8:59:56 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

As there are many companies that make the fakes, the quality even changes between them!

I know of another clone, I say clone because it is obviously based on a T2, it's not branded as a Teknetics and the quality of that is very good.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 12 July 2014 11:46:04 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Consumer guarantees act is valid but if the guy isn't playing ball then Trademe should be doing something. Good luck matey

Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 13 July 2014 12:06:14 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi -

I too saw this going on Trademe & the seller was quite evasive in answering the questions put to them =

Their ad reads -

"This high powered late model technology metal detector I bought from Kelly co in the USA it cost over $1000.00 you can look it up on there website I have only used it a few times and are really impressed with how sensitive and how easy to aye but I need to sell as I've got some big rates bills to pay"

I wonder if anyone in Chch knows the seller - Selling an item as genuine knowing its counterfeit is about as low as you could go

Hope things work out for you - If it tests ok I know if you get an upper & lower shaft from Fisher, that will certainly tighten everything up, but its probably another $30-$40 you have to part out with

Please keep us all posted as it was a lot of money paid IMO

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 13 July 2014 2:26:59 AM(UTC)
oroplata

http://www.tekneticst2.c...aid%20--%2006Oct2013.pdf

http://www.tekneticst2.com/dealers.htm

What's the serial number on it? Is it the same as the one in that video? 071276817?

sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 13 July 2014 12:39:04 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

I would of thought investing in Teknetics equipment at this stage is risky anyways -

If you break a toggle switch for argument sake, you have to box up unit & send to the US for repair at your expense - That's shipping there & back plus parts and labor - Quite a lot of effing around for a high priced piece of kit -

I know this because a mate of mine done exactly that - Only we managed to find a Chinese supplier who sent him the replacement part for free -

All I know is many people are being had by dikheads who are selling counterfeit T2's - There's the key - If you cannot get a T2 from an authorized dealer or someone you trust, then DON'T get one at all .......

The US have made it harder for international buyers to get their gear which in turn IMO makes people look else where - In today's world of retailing it seems stupid to me that we cannot purchase from the reputable dealer we trust in the USA, however in most cases they are unable to sell overseas -

One other point to note - China is NOT bound by copyright laws so they do not see anything wrong with copying a product & you would have to be one dumass mudda plucker NOT to be copying some type of successful product, would you not?
goldhanded  
Posted : Sunday, 13 July 2014 2:14:21 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Hi guys,
My mate has read the forum and has joined paydirt,he said he will take some photos etc and will comment in the next day or so as to progress with the seller(who hasnt replied to any of his communication yet,surprise surprise)
Yes Sycotad it is really hard to buy from the States and importing expense etc,you will have seen in the questions and answers on the trade-me sale that my friend pressed the seller about this fact!Yet the seller insisted he had brought from the US.Il say this for now,this guy is in a power of trouble,the police have been notified and there is a case to be answered,I would advise the seller to get in touch with the buyer and refund him his money immediatly as if not he is going to be made an example of.The police already know who he is and have his personal details so if he has any brains he will sort it out.I wouldnt mind seeing this guy get busted actually,I think its a really shitty thing to do,had he advertised it as a T2+ that was brought from alibaba or even just been honest about the condition etc then no problem,but he advertised it as a great machine that he was very impressed with etc etc,what a disgusting piece of work.As for investing in a Teknetics,I would,Im a Garrett man,but the teknetics is a pretty cool machine,my friends old one has never given him an issue and I really like how the functions on it work.I suppose its risky as you said that you have to send it back etc,but you wouldnt know that until it actually happened.
Anyhow watch this space and the more support the better,its time these rip off artists got whats coming to them!
rumple  
Posted : Monday, 14 July 2014 12:03:00 AM(UTC)
rumple

New Zealand

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Hey guys I'm the silly bugger that took a chance on buying a second hand detector from an arsehole. The seller has still not replied to my email advising him that he's snapped. Police and trademe have come to party stating they will step in if required. It is fraud. I have his full name , address, land line and bank account details. Set him up with a fake trademe auction and had a friend in Christchurch call by without him knowing.

Attached some pictures. Unless you've spent some time on a t2 you'd have a hard time spotting the difference. Tell tail points are red button, finger trigger different, t2+ on main display with number 6000 above it, machine is a little heavier and feels award. Main shaft is very flimsy and the coil freely turns between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Display screen and elbow rest also lose.
When it comes to turning machine on that's when enoughs enough. Continuous coil overloading ,won't ground cleanse, dial sometimes won't change settings, won't pin point (coil overloads strait away), volume is useless and let's off similar sounds on totally different metals.
Also el paso tx serial numbers are same except last 2 digits, as the fake on youtube fake t2 vid.
rumple  
Posted : Monday, 14 July 2014 12:11:15 AM(UTC)
rumple

New Zealand

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Also fake box colour was a little faded and had this large sticker on front, same as on youtube vid
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 14 July 2014 12:35:52 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: rumple Go to Quoted Post

Hey guys I'm the silly bugger that took a chance on buying a second hand

Mate - there's nothing silly about buying second hand gear - Don't get put off by this encounter as its quite rare scammers like this get away with anything - I know First Texas customer support in the USA sux, however their fraud unit is apparently very good at prosecuting these types, so one way or another, shit for brains will pay

I have just received these prices regarding Minelab Copies -

Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack $500
Minelab X-Terra 305 metal detector $250
Minelab X-Terra 505 metal detector $300
Minelab X-Terra 705 Metal Detector $400
Minelab ctx3030 Metal Detector $1100
Minelab Safari Metal Detector $600
Minelab Sovereign GT Metal Detector $650
Minelab Excalibur II Metal Detector $700
Minelab Explorer SE Pro $650
Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer $130
Minelab GPX5000 Metal Detector $2000
Minelab E-TRAC Metal Detector $700
Minelab GPX4800 Metal Detector $1700
Minelab SDC 2300 Gold Metal Detector $1500

So watch out guys & girls - these will be a few hundred dollars each in 6 months time

Please keep this thread updated, as I am sure there's a lot of keen interest & good luck

Edited by user Monday, 14 July 2014 12:36:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

4 Pages123>»