New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

8 Pages«<34567>»
Goldigger  
Posted : Sunday, 13 October 2013 11:57:21 PM(UTC)
Goldigger

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Yep.Well done Andre'.Phoned TM Some time yesterday to voice my opinion .Got some arrogant no it all Kid .They just don't care as long as they get their fees.Sent a second email to Minelab. Australia.Awaiting response and some action taken.I wish they get the Minelab CEO on Campbellive or Fairgo together with TM CEO to point out that selling intellectual property is illegal and then still trying to pass it off as the REAL authentic product which is Fraudulent .SHAME ON YOU TRADEME!!!!
Andre  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 9:31:39 PM(UTC)
Andre

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good day Guys

You all recently have seen this auction for Minelab 5000 on Trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz...isting.aspx?id=649138670

That was the second auction from the same seller for a counterfeit GPX5000.

From the start I wanted to win the auction in order to place an appropriate feedback to warn all other users.

I was really surprised by the amount of warnings I received from all you guys. I am really proud to be a member of this amazing community.
Thank you !

I immediately reported to Minelab about this seller and received below replies:

"Thank you very much for this information , it is great to see our customers looking after other potential Minelabbers. We will pass this on to our legal team for further action".

"Thank you so much for this information. We will definitely be investigating further. Glad to see we have such incredible consumer support out there. Happy Minelabbing"

I sent couple of emails to the seller but surprisingly received no replies at all. Great start :)
Then the next moment I see that the seller applied for a sucess fee refund. Interesting.

So this morning i am placing a below feedback on his page
BUYERS BE AWARE THAT THIS PERSON SELLS A COUNTERFEIT MINELAB PRODUCT. I MADE MINELAB AUSTRALIA AWARE AND THEIR LEGAL TEAM ARE TAKING SOME ACTIONS. THE SELLER'S ACCOUNT MUST BE SUSPENDED.

This evening Trademe notified me that my feedback was removed. Well done keep making your website a safe place to shop!
Despite many complaints this seller has not been banned from trademe.

It was another listing on ebay from NZ that could be potentially a copy of GPX5000.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item1c379ec565

I believe we should have ZERO tolerance when we see something like this.

Thank you all again for your warnings/txts/calls.

Regards,
Andre

Edited by user Thursday, 17 October 2013 10:19:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 9:58:46 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Well done Andre. I wonder how Trade Me can be made to live up to their obligations.
I'm guessing that you will now be blacklisted and will be unable to have any further dealings with this fraudulent cretin. Thanks for doing your bit.
Andre  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 10:42:43 PM(UTC)
Andre

Just replied to trademe regarding a success fee refund telling them that I am wanting to complete this sale as long as the product is original. The seller ignored all communication from my side and not willing to complete the sale. Awaiting

By the way his details are below. In case if you will come across of this seller.
Soren Smith
[email protected]
Bank: BNZ
Account: 02 0792 0079975 000

Edited by user Thursday, 17 October 2013 11:10:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Al Bay  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 7:20:25 AM(UTC)
Al Bay

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are in luck http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-651858995.htm

Time to have more fun
Minelab E-Trac
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 7:37:02 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
This guy is a slow learner! Notice he listed it just before the weekend again with the close date being Sunday.
gogold  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 9:32:43 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
so trademe wont do anything has anyone tried the coppers? fraud/conterfiet is a crime maybe they mite do something
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 11:05:17 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

http://www.iponz.govt.nz...2-and-copyright-act-1994

Perhaps Minelab need to arrange for one of their NZ distributors to buy the unit (to establish a payment trail) then open it up and confirm it's a fake and lay a complaint?

l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 12:15:01 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Today for the new one, I created a fake (throwaway) TradeMe account named "warning_fakegpx" and have autobid up to $5,000 (the limit for un-authenticated members).

Also reported the listing yet again, and am about to re-email Minelab.

Edit
To TradeMe in the 'Report' box:
Quote:
This user is continuing to try and sell a fake Minelab unit that was manufactured in China.

Selling this item puts the member "deals__online" aka "Soren Smith" aka "[email protected]" in breech of NZ law under the Trade Marks Act 2002 and the Copyright Act 1994.

Minelab has been informed yet again.

I seriously urge TradeMe to finally step up and do something about this matter, as do the whole of New Zealands Metal Detecting Community.

To the seller via his email posted earlier: (via another throwaway account ([email protected])
Quote:
Hello Soren Smith, aka "deals__online".

I'm writing this email to inform you that the product you're selling on TradeMe is, as you're aware not a genuine Minelab Detector. It's a cheap and inferior Chinese replication.

In short, it's fake.

Also, just wanted to let you know that I have contacted both TradeMe and Minelab Australia about this and pointed out that your intention to sell this is against the law as you're in breech of the Trade Marks Act 2002 and the Copyright Act 1994.

Regards,
Concerned Metal Detector Enthusiasts of New Zealand.

Shortly after sending that email I received an automated message from TradeMe:
Quote:
The following auction has been withdrawn by the seller:

"Minelab GPX 5000 Gold Metal Detector" (#651858995)

If you feel the withdrawal of this auction was not justified, you are entitled to make a complaint about the member using the contact us page on the Trade Me site. The seller's user name is deals__online

Happy trading!

The Trade Me team
http://www.trademe.co.nz/

And another email to Minelab:
Quote:
Hi guys, thought I'd send through another email to let you know that the user on TradeMe is continuing to list these disgustingly inferior and fake products.

I myself made an attempt to save anyone from buying this unit by reporting the auction to TradeMe yet again and going a step further and making a fake/throwaway user account with the name "warning_fakegpx" which everyone viewing the auction could see as I then set-up an auto-bid to $5,000. - This seemed to work as not long after I bid with the seller withdrew the auction.

In other news, members of the NZ Detecting Community (paydirt.co.nz) have discovered this persons name and email address.

He is "deals__online" aka Soren Smith of Auckland, NZ and his email address that he used to register at TradeMe (if you'd like to contact him) is [email protected]

By listing these units for sale he's touching pretty close to being in breech of New Zealand laws, namely the Trade Marks Act 2002 and the Copyright Act 1994. I'm not sure if that helps you in dealing with him or not though.

All the best,
Chris

Edited by user Friday, 18 October 2013 12:38:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F2 - Hunts: 11, Rings: 3, Spendables: $70.20
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 12:43:14 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Now re-listed at:
http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-652012839.htm

"This listing is restricted to authenticated members only"

Dammit.
Andre  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 12:44:22 PM(UTC)
Andre

Guys,

I just thought about his fee refunds. Trademe is not refunding any additional photographs / gallery etc. So sooner or later he will need to top-up his account. I doubt that he will be able to sell it to anyone
Also after few refunds Trademe may not be able to give him another one

Also there is a way of establishing his address. Just need to contact the sellers from whom he bought items recently.

Edited by user Friday, 18 October 2013 1:06:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 1:09:59 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

I got blacklisted too.

Didn't want to use my real account, but hey.. No ones going to outbid $99,999,999.

Edited by user Friday, 18 October 2013 1:10:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Another auction withdrawn.

FossickFester  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 1:23:08 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I would like to thank all involved who are trying to stop the trade me fraudster. I'm currently saving up for a detector myself (gold bug pro) and would hate to buy a fake chinese knock-off. Cheers again for your efforts guys, it's appreciated. :)
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 1:23:47 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

For anyone interested in contacting TradeMe I have managed to dig out their 0800 number, so you will not get charged for the call.

I just called them myself to report the user again by phone.. The number is 0800 334 332 and you'll want option number 3.

Edit:
Also not a common name he has, found this on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIklTCbQ72w

Edited by user Friday, 18 October 2013 1:43:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 4:14:31 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
I just reported it to Trademe again. Putting this here for documented proof in case media get involved. Trademe wont respond to me so it's the only way to document that Trademe are aware he is selling fakes as real and that they(Trademe) are quite happy for this to happen.

"I see you're still letting this guy sell his fakes.....$2000 is a lot of money to be scammed for. Whoever buys these detectors will be pissed off and will be told by all of the people being ignored by you guys, that you guys are happy to let him defraud buyers. It's only a matter of time until the media hear of this. I notice this is the third time I have told you about this and have not had a reply from you. Can you please explain why you feel this is a legal auction?"

I'm blacklisted so cant bid, lets just hope if someone does bid, that they have auctions listed so we can warn them. I can't think of any other way to warn potential buyers.

Now its authenticated members only, we cant use throwaway accounts either. I'm guessing Trademe told him how to get around it. Makes you think maybe someone at Trademe is the seller or maybe a friend/family member?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 4:47:01 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Well done gentlemen. This is great entertainment and very informative. Shame it has the potential to cause loss to the unwary.
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 5:15:11 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

From TradeMe:
Quote:
Dear Chris,

We are well aware of your opinion on these auctions Chris and we do appreciate you contacting us about them.

Having said that we have already done what we can to authenticate whether these are genuine and the information that has been sent through from the seller has satisfied our questions.

We are allowing him to sell them on the site and your decision to interfere with these listings by placing fake bids on them is not appropriate.

I recommend that if you have concerns about these items then do not bid on them.

Regards,

Cushla

Trade Me Support
http://www.trademe.co.nz

What a crock!
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 5:28:45 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

If you were to email Campbell Live with a copy of your correspondence to and from Trade Me, they might be interested enough to follow it through. Nothing ventured..............
l0gic  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 5:33:53 PM(UTC)
l0gic

Man
New Zealand

Funny you should mention that.

I've just emailed several parties that may be interested, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Really seems more like they're happy with potential success fees than fishing out the scammers.

:)
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 18 October 2013 6:15:12 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

From that video he's a young fella. Maybe he went to Aussie for a holiday, got scammed into buying a couple of fake GPX5000's and is trying to recover his money?

If that's the story, no wonder he wants to sell for maximum price as he's probably out of pocket up to AU$10000. Ouch.

8 Pages«<34567>»